• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chem p1 m/j 09 qs.

Reaction score
mj 09
QS 6, 9, 16( dont understand options b,c,d), 17 (why (NH4)2SO4 IS an ionic salt)

Reaction score
paparazzi said:
mj 09
QS 6, 9, 16( dont understand options b,c,d), 17 (why (NH4)2SO4 IS an ionic salt)

q6: A: bromoethane 109.5 while ethene is 120
B: methane 109.5 while CO2 is 180
C: both methane and CH3Cl have bondangle of 109.5
D: ethene has 120 while polyethene has 109.5

So D is correct since product has a smaller bond angle than the reactant!

q9: The question itself answrs the question...B C and D donot occur since the question says that Silver is present in the sludge, it therefore won't react...

q16: potassium astatide is a powerful reducing agent and and sulphuric acidd is a powerful oxidising agent so H2SO4 will oxidise KAs to As and nt only to HAs since NaCl is a weak oxidising agent and is reduced to HCl...

Going down group VII, solubility of their silver salts decreases in NH3...and how come less reactive Astatine can displace chlorine from KCl.....
(Friendly speaking, you need to give a thorough reading to Group VII since it is very confusing and yet important! :) )

Now ionic bonds r formed b/w two complete charged ions...NH4+ and SO4^2- have complete charges!!! and mostly all ammonium salts are ionic...eg NH4Cl...NH4NO3
Well it's true that ionic substances are usually composed of a metal + a non-metal (or a polyatomic anion), but ionic substances can also be composed of a polyatomic cation + a non-metal (or a polyatomic anion). :)

Reaction score
whats the product if potassium astatide reacts with dilute H2SO4? I go through the textbook bt it only explained the reaction with conc.H2SO4..

09 MJ Q 11, Q 19(I can only find 2 chiral centres) and Q 20( it has only 3 double bond.... how can it has 8 cis-tans isomer..)

Reaction score
paparazzi said:
whats the product if potassium astatide reacts with dilute H2SO4? I go through the textbook bt it only explained the reaction with conc.H2SO4..

09 MJ Q 11, Q 19(I can only find 2 chiral centres) and Q 20( it has only 3 double bond.... how can it has 8 cis-tans isomer..)

q11: Barium nitrate would decompose producing BaO, NO2 and O2..Al reacts with this O2 to produce Al2O3...

q19: three are CH3, CH3 and OH, while rest are where carbon forms three bonds with one Hydrogen attached...

q20: make combinations like this....cis-cis-cis........cis-trans-cis.....and u'll get 8 comb.! :)