• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEM P42 GT and paper discussion

What do you think the GT will be ?

• very High (75+)

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • high (70-75)

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • medium 65-

Votes: 48 40.7%
  • low (60-65)

Votes: 20 16.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
when Nh3 was added it acted like a base neutalising the Cl- ions in the solution so the green colour faded and a light blue solution of Cu(h2o)6 was formed. then adding more NH3 precipitated it out Cu(OH)2 and then the Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2 complex forming dark plue solution
but i guess we are not adding water, we are adding nh3. so would it not directly displace the cl ions? forming ppt without formation of cu(h20)6?

Reaction score
but i guess we are not adding water, we are adding nh3. so would it not directly displace the cl ions? forming ppt without formation of cu(h20)6?
it clearly said THREE ions THREE colours. and it said NH3(aqueous) so it had water. specificaly mentioning acting as a base meant to provide a clue

Reaction score
I wrote this answer,
cl ions are displaced by OH ions in aq NH3 forming (Cu(OH)2(H2O)4)2+ which upon addition of excess ammonia forms dark blue sol (Cu(NH3)4)2+ is responsible for this. displaced Cl ions react with the complex forming green sol (this was really a fluke in the end) (Cu(NH3)4)Cl2.
How much marks out of 5 will I get, pleaseee tell me.

Reaction score
I wrote this answer,
cl ions are displaced by OH ions in aq NH3 forming (Cu(OH)2(H2O)4)2+ which upon addition of excess ammonia forms dark blue sol (Cu(NH3)4)2+ is responsible for this. displaced Cl ions react with the complex forming green sol (this was really a fluke in the end) (Cu(NH3)4)Cl2.
How much marks out of 5 will I get, pleaseee tell me.
idk prolly 1 for naming the ion but your ans is confusing. no more than 1 cause other than naming one ion partilly corect and that a precipitate forms you have jumbled it up

Reaction score
it clearly said THREE ions THREE colours. and it said NH3(aqueous) so it had water. specificaly mentioning acting as a base meant to provide a clue
I even wrote ppt that i forgot to mention in the earlier msg

Reaction score
I wrote blue ppt -1
then ion responsible for it -1
then blue sol -1
then ion responsible for it -1
Can't I get 4 marks for it? :p This is what I expected :p
idk prolly 1 for naming the ion but your ans is confusing. no more than 1 cause other than naming one ion partilly corect and that a precipitate forms you have jumbled it up

Reaction score
yes cause covalent bonds are within the chains. you need to tel about inter molecular forces of attraction
vander waal forces are also inter-molecular forces and they always act between non polar compounds like hydrocarbon chains