• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem Paper 6 (All discussions here Please)

Reaction score
Wat duz da term decant mean?
In da CaCo3 question .........we had 2 draw da second graph below da 1 given rite?
In da Solid E question.......in test (b) where it says it woz heated n liquid drops were seen......wat duz dat indicate?
N last but not least.........da last copper n steel queston....wat woz da experiment?
Thnx 4 all answers in advance n hope y'all did well
Good Luck 4 all exams 2 cum!

Reaction score
Ahan...
well 1 variant and second are almots the same...
abt this answer
i Think i found it.!!

the thing is you place both the vessels under heat and take the observations....Steel will becore red hot early and start to melt away.
where as copper will take more time to react......so copper will be better as a saucepan!!
I think thats the answer...not sure though!

I sitll have 3 hours till my exam!

Reaction score
hmm basically wht i understood is that u neeeded to show which when rusts faster.. i think not sure ill look up a proper answer but if any1 knows that would be awsome

i didnt get the heat and few drops shown ques. wht is it supppose to be show ?? wht did u write ??did anything come in electrolysis?? and for the graph if u drew the other line under the original 1 that means it had a lower rate of the reaction than the original 1

my exam is in 3 hrs 2 .. im reallie nervous 4 some reason i get confused with analysis ..

im sure u did welll ... wish me luck

Reaction score
i think about what you are asking abt water drops could be that the SAlt was hydrate and when heated it became anhydrous so the steam from it condensed at the top of the test tube..
this is what i have understood by now.........
and abt suase pans still i have no clue..
the sausepan question was in W/1996 paper...and i dont have the marking scheme i am sooo screwed!!

Reaction score
i have the mark schemeee it saysss

tests are made to investigate the effect of direct heating in air on each sample of the 3 metals.
by using a tongs place each sample of the 3 metals in turn in a bunsen flame for 10 minutes
observations:
copper_ turns black due to the formation of copper oxide
steel_ turns brown due to the formation of iron oxide
aluminium_ no visible change (due to protective layer of AL2O3)

hence aluminium is the most suitable to make saucepans .. :D

Reaction score
Soona you are AMAZINg thnx a TON....seriously you jst saved my life...looolz....
well one more thing according to soem people the question asked abt only steel and copeer..
if that will be the case...i guess copper will be better...or which one.??

Reaction score
i think its copper 2, if the question doesnt say stainless steeeel..... were not getting the same variant so dont stress on this question read through all ur past papers i hope we answered coolguy question .. goodluck hopfully we all do well

Reaction score
i just did my exam 5 hours back.
the first 2 pages wer not hard at all
n the term decanting is basically puoring off of th liquid to seperate the liquid from the solid.
i hav 1 doubt
which point is incorrect in the first graph ?
and ya the rough graph they ask u to draw.its a steeper curve above the drawn graph.but make sure the startin and ending points are the same.
they did ask abt electrolysis but it is all basic questions.
abt the last question.. i think u can write either abt the heat conductivity or abt rusting.but whichever test ur doin u should wite all the steps n all the apparatus used.
abt the question they asked abt formation of colourless liquid formed on the top of the testtube was water of crystallisation (it indicates tht the compound was hydrated).
btw i did the 2nd variant.
if i said nything wrong plss correct me.

Reaction score
Inshallah....
:D

well BEst of luck everyone....LETS ROCK THIS PAPER....and ya jst a tip...
for the salt analysis question......

take a seperate page...and make 2 or as many as coulmns wanted for the different salts... like D , E , G

and make there observations under it...it helps in the end..:d
Byezz

Reaction score
hey guys my exam is in an hour .. can u tell me what came on the exam ? pleaaase ? thanks alot :)

Reaction score
hey..
Decanting is the process of removing a liquid from a solid , which has settled, or from an immiscible heavier liquid by pouring
saucepan no clue :( hop ya did well:D

Reaction score
@imkillinit: im not sure coz i actally drew da curve below da 1st 1 coz it said dat smaller lumps were used! i dunno but wat do u think will b da curve?

Reaction score
i just finished my exam and i think i did the 1st variant ... the last question was a bit weird wht did u guys write for it ?? and ummm the thing with the test for crystals before the last page, was the colour change from pink to blue or from blue to pink that confused meee ... and for the analysis question the 1st to blanks that had 5 marks what were they about it was aluminium with sodium hydroxide then with ammonia i dont get why it had so much marks, did i miss anything???.. um and wht was solid E .. i wrote contained NItrate ions soo aluminium nitrate somthin like that .. and the gas was obviusly ammonia and the 1 above wad hydrated crystal present .. lol hmmm and for the 1st graph the predicted line was above or below the original lineee??.. lol i just left the exam room so its all still fresh i think overall it was fineee ... maybee

Reaction score
SoOona said:
i just finished my exam and i think i did the 1st variant ... the last question was a bit weird wht did u guys write for it ?? and ummm the thing with the test for crystals before the last page, was the colour change from pink to blue or from blue to pink that confused meee ... and for the analysis question the 1st to blanks that had 5 marks what were they about it was aluminium with sodium hydroxide then with ammonia i dont get why it had so much marks, did i miss anything???.. um and wht was solid E .. i wrote contained NItrate ions soo aluminium nitrate somthin like that .. and the gas was obviusly ammonia and the 1 above wad hydrated crystal present .. lol hmmm and for the 1st graph the predicted line was above or below the original lineee??.. lol i just left the exam room so its all still fresh i think overall it was fineee ... maybee

me 2 i just finished mine. the last expirament i think was very very tricky, my friends say if u write about thermal decomposition and heating it would be wrong and i wrote like this :cry: I am very scared they say if expirament doesnt work = 0 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
for the crystals it is from pink to blue
and i have two questions, the one about sulphuric acid y it was used in the preparation of the gas in the first page, and the one about the crystals the last question y was the tube open at that point????