• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem Paper1

Reaction score
Because 1, 3 and 4 are not typical properties of a oxidizing agent. So, 2 is the answer, but as it comes with 1 in B part, that's why the answer should be B. ;)

Reaction score
potassium iodide is a reducing agent and when its oxidised it changes color from colourless to red/brown, only in 1 and 2 is its color changing, so it means that solutions 1 and 2 contain oxidising agents whih oxidise KI...
now do u understand

Reaction score
Don't get distracted by the presence of potassium manganate. The fact that potassium iodide changes colour in solutions 1 and 2 proves that there must be an oxidising agent present.

Reaction score
yeah it is bt it dosent oxidise,
A reducing agent always oxidises nd an oxidising agent always reduces!!!

Reaction score
Yeah BUT in 1 and 3 the colour of Potassium Manganate too changes!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
this means that 1 and 3 contain reducing agents, but as zohaib said u should ignore that as u r only asked about oxidising agents and by mixing potassium iodide u noe dat 1 and 2 contain oxidising agents, so oxidising agents will be 1 & 2, understand??

Reaction score
Ryt i just deleted that understood post!! 'coz iv got another doubt..
in 1 y does potassium manganate change color with an oxidising agent?

Reaction score
b/c it could both be reduced and oxidised,
for example,
Fe 2+ can oxidise and form Fe 3+
Fe 2+ can reduce and form Fe (Iron),

this is such an ezy question, much more trickier questions can cum in xam, u shud study hard!!

Reaction score
True, but does it apply to Potassium Manganate too? Together with the color change????

Reaction score
only Transition metals have various oxidation states
thats why they have different names such as Fe(III), Fe(II), Cu(II)

Reaction score
OMG!! u ddnt get it did you?
You just compared Potassium Manganate to Fe, thats y I asked if Potassium Manganate cud oxidise as well as reduce!!!
Anyways the thing about transition metals having varying oxidation states- I already knew Thanks though!! :D

Reaction score
Tz alryt, drop it thankz for answering my Q........
I'll get my doubt cleared from one of my friendz.
Thanks Loadz anyways..

Reaction score
i was tryn 2 say dat only transition elements can both oxidise and reduce as they hav various oxidation states,!! wats rong in this??

Reaction score
You are ryt of course!!
But does Potassium Manganate too oxidise and reduce lyk Fe?

Reaction score
no it dozent, although Mangnese is also a a Transition metal but in Potassium Manganate (KMnO4) its bonded with Potassium and Oxygen.... so it only has 1 oxidation state and thus it only reduces,!!!

i m really sorry if u felt bad for what i said, i should'nt have said dat as it wasent my business, sorry again