• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem Practical - Test for ions

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have almost never been able to test for ions correctly and I have my mock tomorrow. Can someone please tell me how I can get better at it. I mean, I follow all the instructions and all, but I don't know why but I always either add more of the solution that has to be added or do a mistake I don't even know about. So, can you guys help me out??

Reaction score
Reaction score
Nope, didn't help me. I want an in-depth answer of it. Please! I want an answer like the ones I've found on the other practical threads. I don't want those answers obviously, but can someone please tell me practical tips for the tests for ions?

Reaction score
You mean for salt analysis yeah?
1. You add only a minimum of the test solution into your empty test tube.
2. Suppose you've got to add NaOH (aq), try to add one drop, first, see if there is any precipitate, then you add some more till 1/3 of the test tube (to make sure that NaOH is in excess).
Has my answer been helpful?