• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemisrty

Ivo

Reaction score
niassu said:
how to extract copper from malachite in laboratory

There are a number of different ways. One of them is this:

Crush lumps of malachite (copper carbonate) into fine poweder, put in test-tube then strongly heat. Thermal decomposition occurs: CuCO3 -> CuO + CO2. Then reduce with carbon: CuO + C -> 2Cu + CO2.

Reaction score
THIS QUESTION CAME IN CHEMISTRY PAPER 6 2010 (6marks)
Ihope this answer is right
:)

Reaction score
I did this
Crush a measure of malachite (placed using a spatula) using pestil and mortar and add do a conical flash containing HCl
Stir the mixture using a stirring rod
filter the solution to obtain Copper chloride as the filtrate and excess malachite as residue
add zinc granules to a in the filtrate obtained
A pink brown solid appears as copper is less reactive than zinc and will be displaced by zinc
filter again to obtain copper as residue and dry in an oven

NOTE:-I think that they will accept all valid answers because there is no only ONE definite way of getting the copper as a matter of fact I totally agree with the first method stated by Ivo

Reaction score
Ivo said:
There are a number of different ways. One of them is this:

Crush lumps of malachite (copper carbonate) into fine poweder, put in test-tube then strongly heat. Thermal decomposition occurs: CuCO3 -> CuO + CO2. Then reduce with carbon: CuO + C -> 2Cu + CO2.

That's exactly what I wrote! (Except for the crushing part)

Reaction score
I hope this answer can help u
first i wrote crush it then adding sodium and water as sodium will displace it forming soduim carbonte which is soluble in water
then fiter and take resdiue ,wash it to remove impurities then dry it using two fiter papers

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Let me make it clear that ur ans, should not necessarily be mentioned in the mark scheme for u to get marks.Any method which would work will be awarded full marks!!

Reaction score
I dont understand u , are u saying that my answer is wronge
i am not looking forward to seeing my answer in mark scheme , i just want it to get the approvel of the one who will check my paper and i believe it wont be u

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
:) I am not saying whther your answer is correct or wrong ,only what I am saying is since this was a type of new thing so we all wrote our own ways,for instance I wrote that heat malachite strongy to decompose it and heat until there is no more gas seen which shows all copper carbonate has changed to copper oxide.Now react copper oxide with hot coke to reduce it to copper!ow ur answer makes sense too but if it is a method which wont work they might not award full marks but according to me it seems to be correct so better leave it to the examiner to decide and let us pray that all our answers are correct(Aameen)

Reaction score
sorry as i understood what u have wriitten wronge :( but i just gave topics of what i wrote
i wrote more and try to make sensible to the examiner in the exam and be2ezen allah we will get high marks (ameen ):) :)
good luck

Ivo

Reaction score
M.S.Princess93 said:
first i wrote crush it then adding sodium and water as sodium will displace it forming soduim carbonte which is soluble in water
then fiter and take resdiue ,wash it to remove impurities then dry it using two fiter papers

I'm afraid to say your method is possibly wrong. This is because copper carbonate, as you may know, is insoluble in water. Displacement reactions in water can only occur if the metal is added to a solution, and not just a mixture of copper carbonate and water. Therefore, the sodium would not react with the copper carbonate in this way.

Reaction score
Ivo said:
M.S.Princess93 said:

I'm afraid to say your method is possibly wrong. This is because copper carbonate, as you may know, is insoluble in water. Displacement reactions in water can only occur if the metal is added to a solution, and not just a mixture of copper carbonate and water. Therefore, the sodium would not react with the copper carbonate in this way.

That's exactly why I reacyed malachite with HCl first before adding zinc because Copper Chloride is soluble in water

Ivo

Reaction score
LoayTYS said:
Ivo said:
M.S.Princess93 said:

That's exactly why I reacyed malachite with HCl first before adding zinc because Copper Chloride is soluble in water

LOL, you're confused. Your method is perfectly valid, if you look clearly I was saying that M.S.Princess93's may not work! :p

Reaction score
in paper 6 i used zinc as zinc carbonate is soluble in water........i had a question that some people say that thresh hold system has been finished by CIE....is it true??????

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
thats not true and we better not think abt that now!!!just prepare well and pray,inshAllah everything will be fine,Aameen!

Reaction score
hey u , Mr ivo, u keep talking about my answer as u think it is wronge but surprise my answer is correct i told my chemistry teacher and my friends they said it is CORRECT and if u read my other posts I MADE IT CLEAR THAT I SAID THE TOPICS THAT I WROTE NOT THE FULL ANSWER I DIDNT SAY WHAT I PUT FIRST so stop it and do what math angel words CONCENTRATE ON THE OTHER EXAMS
be2zen allah we will get high marks :x :x

Reaction score
hey guys i have one question:
should we learn theories about acids and bases for the exam????
thnx in advance :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
which theories do u mean,learn everything in the syllabus especially the supplement material!

Reaction score
no i mean those ones which r abt how scientists found out the theory which says that an acid is a proton donor and a base is a proton acceptor