• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry and Physics P5 General tips!

Reaction score
Hey guys! (Assalam)
So I was about to write my university assignment but found out that I didn't have office installed, so while it's installing I'm gonna try to write a short guide on how to prepare for P5.
THIS IS NOT Q&A, I don't remember all that stuff from last year so I won't be able to help with specific questions but I can give you a guideline to prepare for it. With that out of the way, what I'm not going to explain and discuss why you think this is not right and why I think its right bla bla bla..., but it's from my own experience in A Levels so it's up to you if you wanna take the advice.

I believe there are just a few days left for the exam so this is going to be very handy for you guys.

Here is what you need to do:
  1. Stop memorising or trying to understand the entire book, P5 questions test your practical skills on paper, while they do test your concepts a little, you won't need to go that deep.
  2. Take the papers from the last 2 or 3 years and if possible, PRINT them. Really just do it, I know you can work around by looking at the papers on a computer and writing the answers on a paper but trust me it's not the same, besides what's it gonna cost compared to your examination fee? Oh and you need to print marking schemes too, just stay away from the computer while you're doing the papers.
  3. This is the important part, take on paper along with it's marking scheme. Now read the question and understand it, then try to think what how would you answer it(don't write it down). Now open that question's answer in the marking scheme, understand the answer and write the perfect answer to that question. By perfect, I mean if you had the marking scheme in the exam and had the chance to score full marks using it how would you write your answers.
  4. Do this for the entire paper with every question.
  5. Repeat it for other papers too. Leave one or two papers to test yourself later.
  6. Once you're done with the papers from the last 2-3 years, stop this practice. Now do the papers you left to test yourself later but this time don't use the marking scheme and do it with a timer like an actual exam. Then mark yourself, understand mistakes and when you're done marking trust me your score won't be bad.
  7. Assuming you guys just have a few days, DON'T TRY TO SOLVE A BILLION PAPER! Don't solve papers older than 3 years, just solving more papers doesn't mean you'll get a better score, in fact you will only get confused. I'm not pulling this out of a hat, I've seen students do the papers for the last 10 years 3 times and then have it all messed up in the exam. Just stick to a few papers but do them with full commitment, understand the questions and how in the marking scheme the examiner expects you to answer.
  8. Lastly, don't wake up all night before the exam, YOU NEED TO SLEEP! you can't study all night and ace the test in the morning. I can't remember how many times I have in a situation when I was sitting there one night before the exam or test, knowing nothing and I decided to sleep instead of studying. You need your common sense more than memorising the book, especially in papers like P5. Most questions are going to be a combination of subject knowledge and common sense.
Bonus Tip: Read the entire question in exam, with patience not in a hurry. What are you going to save a few minutes by skipping some parts? You're gonna waste 15 minutes if you plot that graph with the wrong variables or didn't understand the question properly. Understand the question and then you can't do it in minutes.
All right, now my office is installed and I have to write a 15 page report, so I'm not gonna sit here writing paragraphs about why I think this works, neither me nor you have the time to sit and talk about that. You can take my advice or leave it.
-
I'm not sure if you guys are done with P3 or not but here's a link to my post for P3 Chemistry but some of them also apply to other subjects.
-
Good luck and May Allah help you all!
Pray for me!