• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry ATP

Reaction score
Jezla said:
somebody plzz explain, Nov/2004/Paper4/Q6,Q7

Q6: a because barium sulphate will be produced which is insoluble and can be filterated
Q7: MO2 *first calculate the total mass of M and O used (which is 5.5 and 3.2)
*then, divide them by their respective Ar
*then take simplest ratio of both
*the ratio of M to O is 1:2

Hope this helps :cool: :)

Reaction score
Somebody tell me what is the correct test for Hydrogen,
Pops in a flame OR
Pops in a lighted splint??????????

Reaction score
Jezla said:
Somebody tell me what is the correct test for Hydrogen,
Pops in a flame OR
Pops in a lighted splint??????????

Both of 'em are correct!

Reaction score
First calculate the moles of magnesium carbonate.
Moles of HCl are same as before and then see which is in excess and which is not the one which is NOT excess has to be taken in ratio with CO2 thus answer comes.

Reaction score
Jezla said:
June/2004/Paper4/Q3/(e)
Explanation needed!!

Well, you would have got the moles of HCl in the earlier parts of this question. Now find the moles of Magnesium Carbonate from its 5.0 g, which would be 0.00595. It's more than 0.005 moles of HCL. So, we will use moles of HCL for calculation of volume of carbon dioxide gas. 1 mole of hcl gives 1 mole of gas. 0.005 moles of hcl will give o.oo5 moles of gas. So, volume of gas = moles multiplied by molar gas volume, which is 0.005 multiplied by 24.0.12 is the answer.

I hope, you got it! ;)

Reaction score
In Nov/2004/paper4/Q10/(e,ii)
I dont understand y i hav to double the concentration + halve the volume. Why is this???

Reaction score
Increasing the concentration increases the strength of the acid to increase the reaction. Decreasing the volume increases frequency of collisions.

Reaction score
Jezla said:
In Nov/2004/paper4/Q10/(e,ii)
I dont understand y i hav to double the concentration + halve the volume. Why is this???
So that the number of moles should get equal to the previous experiment and just only the speed of the reaction is increased. Just look at the formula, Moles = Concentration in moles/dm3 multiplied by (Volume in cm3 divided by thousand). As only concentration is increased, the number of moles will increase, so the volume is decreased in order to get same number of moles. :)

Reaction score
Jezla said:
K, then hw abt (iv)

Zinc. cuz in tube number 5, the copper is displaced and in tube 6 the magnesium isn't displaced. So, it has to be more reactive than copper and less reactive than magnesium. Okay?