• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry ATP

Reaction score
In the electrolysis question, I wrote that the gas formed was oxygen however many people are saying that as the electrodes were of carbon, oxygen reacted to form carbon dioxide so the answer was carbon dioxide. What do you guys think?? I think it is has to be oxygen.

Reaction score
ibadsiddiqi said:
In the electrolysis question, I wrote that the gas formed was oxygen however many people are saying that as the electrodes were of carbon, oxygen reacted to form carbon dioxide so the answer was carbon dioxide. What do you guys think?? I think it is has to be oxygen.

Well in Prescott its clearly written that oxygen is formed wen we do electrolysis using carbon anodes. Well those who wrote CO2 surely overconcentrated....... :)

Reaction score
ibadsiddiqi said:

I don't mean to get personal, but what center are you affiliated with?. :p
Carbon is used as an electrode because it is inert, meaning it does not react.
Carbon does not react with oxygen at room temperature, at any rate.
So Oxygen gas is given off, like I have previously explained.

Reaction score
Foundation Public School. And yeah thats exactly what I thought. But the thing is that platinum is used as the electrode during the erlectrolysis of those electrolytes that produce oxygen. But as I wrote oxygen I am not complaining!! I just wanted to make sure it was the right answer