• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Doubts: Paper 1 & 2

Reaction score
help please:
(a) why ozone is important in terms of human health? [2]
(b) write the reaction for the conversion ozone to oxygen by CFC?
(a) ozone prevents harmful UV rays from reaching the earths surface which can cause diseases like skin cancer.
(b) O3 + Cl* = O2 + Cl0*..................* refers to a dot (bigger in size than a full stop)
hope this helps:)

Reaction score
sourov97 what are the sources and effects of atmospheric pollutants?

there r many (remember its also harms humans )
1. CO (carbon monoxide ) -its formed during incomplete combustion of C- containing compounds , its a poisonous gas , hemoglobin readily reacts with it and from a complex compound preventing oxygen to combine with it . remember its a toxic gas . (mainly co effects humans i think !! )
2. sulfur dioxide - is formed from burning of coal and petroleum in power stations and also from volcano beds , it irritates the eyes and causes breathing difficulties {enhances the formation of mucus in the respiratory track } this can also cause acid rains
3. nitrogen oxides- is formed at high temp. from the nitrogen and oxygen in air, this can damage lungs , reacts with other pollutants to from ozone which irritates the eye and damages the vegetation. can cause acid rains .
4. CFC's -released when aerosols are used, destroys ozone layer .
5. dust and smoke - dust comes mostly from the ground , smoke from fires of old vegetation and incomplete combustion . this again irritates the eyes and lungs . and can cause severe breathing difficulties for people with asthma. they also make clothes dirty and buildings unsightly . also visibility is reduced and and produce haze in the air .
acid rains are also a major issue
6. lead - lead compounds are added into car fuel to make car engines run properly , lead causes brain damage, especially harmful to young children.

ok that is i know , hope this helps !!!! :)

Reaction score
there r many (remember its also harms humans )
1. CO (carbon monoxide ) -its formed during incomplete combustion of C- containing compounds , its a poisonous gas , hemoglobin readily reacts with it and from a complex compound preventing oxygen to combine with it . remember its a toxic gas . (mainly co effects humans i think !! )
2. sulfur dioxide - is formed from burning of coal and petroleum in power stations and also from volcano beds , it irritates the eyes and causes breathing difficulties {enhances the formation of mucus in the respiratory track } this can also cause acid rains
3. nitrogen oxides- is formed at high temp. from the nitrogen and oxygen in air, this can damage lungs , reacts with other pollutants to from ozone which irritates the eye and damages the vegetation. can cause acid rains .
4. CFC's -released when aerosols are used, destroys ozone layer .
5. dust and smoke - dust comes mostly from the ground , smoke from fires of old vegetation and incomplete combustion . this again irritates the eyes and lungs . and can cause severe breathing difficulties for people with asthma. they also make clothes dirty and buildings unsightly . also visibility is reduced and and produce haze in the air .
acid rains are also a major issue
6. lead - lead compounds are added into car fuel to make car engines run properly , lead causes brain damage, especially harmful to young children.

ok that is i know , hope this helps !!!! :)
7. methane - from decay of vegetaions - contributes to global warming.

Reaction score
o
oh ok
but just explain how
i mean i don't get it !
ohhh! Details:
methane is a gas given off when vegetations are decomposed, this gas goes up into the atmosphere, stays there and absorbs heat rays from the sun. this helps to heat up the more effectively and hence contributing to global warming.(the phenomenon of increasing the earths temperature)
hope its FULLY CLEAR:D dont mind and just chill:cool:you are like one of us, so u can express ur words clearly;)

Reaction score
oh I see
explain me more of xtreme community pls
ohhh! Details:
methane is a gas given off when vegetations are decomposed, this gas goes up into the atmosphere, stays there and absorbs heat rays from the sun. this helps to heat up the more effectively and hence contributing to global warming.(the phenomenon of increasing the earths temperature)
hope its FULLY CLEAR:D dont mind and just chill:cool:you are like one of us, so u can express ur words clearly;)