• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Doubts: Paper 1 & 2

Reaction score
it has been about 15-17 days since i 'registered'. i started posting from the day just before chem atp:cool: dont look at the likes recieved - they are useless, u can get enough of them by posting jokes. message count can give u a 'faint' idea in this case...many just post "thanks" as reply which are also counted...
join threads, share problems & answers and u will learn soon.(y)

Reaction score
well thank -u a lot i'll get hold of it now ~!!! :)
it has been about 15-17 days since i 'registered'. i started posting from the day just before chem atp:cool: dont look at the likes recieved - they are useless, u can get enough of them by posting jokes. message count can give u a 'faint' idea in this case...many just post "thanks" as reply which are also counted...
join threads, share problems & answers and u will learn soon.(y)

Reaction score
Ca, Mg, and Zn are more reactive than hydrogen, so H can't displace oxygen from their oxides. But Cu is less reactive than H, so it can displace Cu from CuO and form water.. The colorless liquid in the U-tube is water.
ANSWER: B
it's Cu alright, but "But Cu is less reactive than H, so it can displace Cu from CuO and form water." isn't fully right. Fe is more reactive than hydrogen, but H2 CAN reduce FeO.
Basically, any metal oxide below zinc can be reduced by H2.

Reaction score
Okay so hydrogen and sulfur dioxide are reducing agent and all halogens are oxidising agents (apart from the potassium compounds)...is that right? Oh and calcium chloride and concentrated sulfuric acid are drying agents