• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY HELP NEEDED!!!

Reaction score
plz tell me the Haber Process and the Contanct Process............. and abt the last question in paper 3 year 2007 oct/nov......

Reaction score
haber process ( making ammonia ):
N2 + 3H2 <---> 2NH3
we get N2 from fractional distillation of liquid air
H2 from electrolysis of brine hydrogen produces at cathode
the forward reaction is exothermic
Best conditions for best yeild of ammona:
low temperature 450 oC
high pressure 200 atmospheric pressure
using catalyst: finely divided iron
reducing the concentration of ammonia: by removing it from the reaction chamber

contact process ( making sulphuric acid ) :
S + O2 --> SO2

2SO2 + O2 --V2O5--> 2SO3

SO3 + H2SO4 --> H2S2O7 (oleum)

H2S2O7 + H2O --> 2H2SO4

Reaction score
yaar federal parh lo ya phir if u say i'll scan my notes and email 2 ya!!!..

Reaction score
questions regardin dynamic equlibrium do cum 4m dese chaptrs wich say wat shud b cahngd in order 2 increase the production of ammonia but without disturbin d dynamic equilibrium???
d answer 2 ds is decreasin d temprature n if xplanation is requird jus ryt k accordin 2 d le chaliers principle 2 increase d yield temperature is decreasd so dat d the constituents combine 2 form more ammonia wich is n xothermic reaction wich results in d emision of heat thereby increasin d temprature!!1

Reaction score
hamid_ishfaq said:
questions regardin dynamic equlibrium do cum 4m dese chaptrs wich say wat shud b cahngd in order 2 increase the production of ammonia but without disturbin d dynamic equilibrium???
d answer 2 ds is decreasin d temprature n if xplanation is requird jus ryt k accordin 2 d le chaliers principle 2 increase d yield temperature is decreasd so dat d the constituents combine 2 form more ammonia wich is n xothermic reaction wich results in d emision of heat thereby increasin d temprature!!1

It would be much appreciated if you spoke with English that can actually can be understood. May be a new concept to you, but I can't understand half of what you're saying.

Reaction score
oops!! sorry :roll: actually i am used to of writing in slang language no problem just tell me which part you werent able to understand i will be glad to explain it to you again and this time in proper english!!!!! :D

Reaction score
hamid_ishfaq said:
oops!! sorry :roll: actually i am used to of writing in slang language no problem just tell me which part you werent able to understand i will be glad to explain it to you again and this time in proper english!!!!! :D
Thanks! All of it please :D

Reaction score
hahaha k....
you must have noticed that in the past papers a question is asked that a reaction such as the haber process is in a dynamic equilibrium what should be done to increase the yield of ammonia without disturbing the dynamic equilibrium.It usually comes in the MCQ's so the answer to this is the option saying decrease the temperature.this is because according to the le chatliers principle when a reaction is in dynamic equilibrium the rate of forward reaction is equal to the rate of backward reaction(forward reaction=production of ammonia, backward reaction=splitting of ammonia in its constituents hydrogen and nitrogen)which means that the outside temperature is constant so if the yield is to be increased then the temperature is to be lowered due to the lowering of the temperature the reaction will get alive and try to retain the equilibrium state that is by increasing the outside temperature.so the nitrogen and hydrogen combine to form ammonia which is an exothermic process and as exothermic processes result in the emission of heat to the surroundings so this forward reaction will result in the outside temperature to be raised hence the yield of ammonia is yield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it was enough to make you understand if you still feel any problem i am here to help you!!! :D