• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry help

Reaction score
How do I do this question from Winter 2004 Paper 3?
Write a symbol equation for the action of heat on zinc hydroxide.
That's all they give you. Zinc is a transition metal so ho do I know its valency? The answer I got was wrong. The answer on the mark scheme was Zn(OH)2 ---> ZnO + H2O.
How was I supposed to know that Zn had a valency of 2?

And I'm not that good on Chemistry paper 3, any tips on how I should get ready?
Thanks.

Reaction score
When doing these papers it is important to know that zn 90 % of the time has a valency of 2 so please know that
so you that there are two hydrogen and two oxygen so you can make one water molecule with that and what is left is an oxgen atom which connects with zn

Reaction score
yellow123 said:
When doing these papers it is important to know that zn 90 % of the time has a valency of 2 so please know that
so you that there are two hydrogen and two oxygen so you can make one water molecule with that and what is left is an oxgen atom which connects with zn
So most of the time transition metals have a valency of 2, right? Or is it only Zinc? Usually they would say Zinc (II) but if they don't how can I assume or determine the valency? Would transition metals usually have a valency of 2?