• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY LOVERS: Up for some action :D

Reaction score
Out of the following which is the strongest base? and why?
2,6-di9metylaniline,
pyridine,
pyrole,
diphenylammine.

Reaction score
Maybe somebody else can verify this with me. I'm not too sure, but have a look at my opinion. :unsure:

So, according to me the basicity should be Pyrrole>Pyridine>2,6-dimethylaniline>Dimethylamine.
If u have a look at the structures, pyrrole and pyridine are aromatic compounds. the lone pair on the nitrogen atom get delocalised in the ring. but, since pyridine has one more carbon atom and provide one more electron to the ring as compared with pyrrole, the lone pair is preferrably delocalised in pyridine than pyrrole. In 2,6-dimethylaniline, the two methyl groups which provide the benzene ring with more electrons, has the lone pair on the nitrogen atom delocalised in the ring but, dimethyl amine has gone further with two benzene rings which pull the lone pair towards themselves and make it unavailable to accept protons. so dimethylamine
attracts the lone pair to a greater extent.