• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry MCQ Question

Reaction score
Well, all of them have Group 2 carbonates which decompose on heating. However, down the group the stability of the carbonates increases. Thus, for example, Barium Carbonate is much more stable than Magnesium Carbonate and needs a higher temperature for thermal decay. So, I guess, when Barytocalcite is heated, the Calcium Carbonate decomposes, leaving some Barium Carbonate intact, which then reacts with an acid, giving off effervescence, which is basically, Carbon Dioxide.

Lol, Hope it helps. :p

Reaction score
MW24595 said:
Well, all of them have Group 2 carbonates which decompose on heating. However, down the group the stability of the carbonates increases. Thus, for example, Barium Carbonate is much more stable than Magnesium Carbonate and needs a higher temperature for thermal decay. So, I guess, when Barytocalcite is heated, the Calcium Carbonate decomposes, leaving some Barium Carbonate intact, which then reacts with an acid, giving off effervescence, which is basically, Carbon Dioxide.

Lol, Hope it helps. :p

Alright, I think I understand it now.
By the way, doesn't the release of H2 gas also cause effervescence?

So like even if CaCO3 was used, the CaO that is remaining would produce H2 effervescence in HCl :/
That's why I was thinking it could be A too