• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry MCQ thread...

Reaction score
34 Which statements concerning the third period elements (sodium to argon) and their compounds
are correct?
1 The elements become more electronegative from sodium to chlorine.
2 Aluminium oxide is the only oxide which is insoluble in water.
3 The maximum oxidation state is shown by silicon.

Reaction score
Guys, i have a number of questions and cud you please help me solve it??
All of them are from november 2010 qp 12
q12
answer was D buti gave B..isnt MgO much more stable than the oxide od strontium?
q18
how can bromine vapour be purple?????
q 20
i tires drawing but only cud draw till 4
these were:
Cl3C- CH2 - CH3 CClH2 - CClH - CClH2 CH3 - CCl2 - CClH2 CCl2H - CClH - CH3
q 34
both the reaction gives out same amount of hydrogen....why will sulfuric acid give more?? i know that sulfuric acid is the stronger one, but the question says the reaction was COMPLETE after 20 min! can anyone justify the third statement?

Reaction score
there is another one also
q38 nov 2010 12
if there are 4 carbon how can 2 and 3 be correct?? what do have to consider here number of oxygen atom?? is CIE assuming that we shud be able to apply our knowledge that any of the peroducts cud be synthesized ( in 2 and 3 ) e.g with hydrogen cyanide or smthin?? thats one of the alchooles axidized to ketones or aldehydes and then by hydrogen cyanide?

Reaction score
there is another one also
q38 nov 2010 12
if there are 4 carbon how can 2 and 3 be correct?? what do have to consider here number of oxygen atom?? is CIE assuming that we shud be able to apply our knowledge that any of the peroducts cud be synthesized ( in 2 and 3 ) e.g with hydrogen cyanide or smthin?? that is one of the alcholos oxidized to ketones or aldehydes and then by hydrogen cyanide?

Reaction score
Dobby1287 said:
34 Which statements concerning the third period elements (sodium to argon) and their compounds
are correct?

D because SiO2 also insoluble

Reaction score
MHHaider707 said:
27- B
first one can not be dehydrated!!

28- B
Duetrium will substitute H atom of (OH) group so three OH groups r present....

35- A
All reactions occur in soil when lime is added!!!

thanks MHHaider for answering my question..

27. what is the reason it cannot be dehydrated? primary alcohol cannot be dehyraded?why?
28. why it should replace H? what reaction is this?which chapter of AS?
29. is this logic or must be memorized?? hehehe :D.

Reaction score
it would b better if u could post da questions here
if dey r without any fig copy n paste dem otherwixe use da print/screen button on keyboard as i assume zishi suggested n paste in paint n den attach da file ...

Reaction score
Dobby1287 said:
are correct?
its D, silicon dioxide is insoluble in water too and the maximum oxidation is shown by chlorine

Reaction score
workinghard said:
it would b better if u could post da questions here
if dey r without any fig copy n paste dem otherwixe use da print/screen button on keyboard as i assume zishi suggested n paste in paint n den attach da file ...
here is the way to post ur questions. take a screenshot of the question u want open the program (paint). press (ctrl+v). crop the margins of the question showing only the question. save the file with the extension (.png) , then attach the file in ur post here ;)

Reaction score
In an experiment, b mol of hydrogen iodide were put into a sealed vessel under pressure p. At
equilibrium, x mol of the hydrogen iodide had dissociated, the reaction being represented by the
following equation.
2HI(g) H2(g) + I2(g)
Which expression for Kp is correct?

A___x_2__
4(b – x)2

B__x_2_p_2__
4b(b – x)

C__x_2_p_2_
(b – x)2

D___x_2__
(b – x)2

Reaction score
errr.... just 1 thing
r u guys talking about the igcse papers ???????????????????
coz if yes , i never in my life saw such ques. :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%)

Reaction score
smartangel said:
In an experiment, b mol of hydrogen iodide were put into a sealed vessel under pressure p. At
equilibrium, x mol of the hydrogen iodide had dissociated, the reaction being represented by the
following equation.
2HI(g) H2(g) + I2(g)

A___x_2__
4(b – x)2

B__x_2_p_2__
4b(b – x)

C__x_2_p_2_
(b – x)2

D___x_2__
(b – x)2

Its A.....!!

when x moles r dissociated then the moles of HI at equilibrium = b - x!!

2 moles of HI give 1 mole of H2 and I2 and x moles give (x/2) moles!!

make an expression for Kp
(x/2)^2 x (x/2)^2
kp = ----------------------
(b - x)^2

it will give the xpression for Kp n ans. will be A!!

Reaction score
smartangel said:
following equation.
2HI(g) H2(g) + I2(g)

A___x_2__
4(b – x)2

B__x_2_p_2__
4b(b – x)

C__x_2_p_2_
(b – x)2

D___x_2__
(b – x)2
its A, x mole of HI has dissociated so mole of H2 is x/2 and I is x/2. HI had initial moles b, after dissociation its b - x ( since x moles has dissociated ) .. gathering all these information in Kc we would get A as the answer ( Kc= x^2 / 4(b - x)^2 )

Reaction score
gary221 said:
errr.... just 1 thing
r u guys talking about the igcse papers ???????????????????
coz if yes , i never in my life saw such ques. :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%) :%)
not all of the questions are from the igcse papers. some are from cambridge chemistry books