• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY-neutral oxides

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
is Silicon(II)Oxide a neutral oxide or is it acidic?

Reaction score
Hello,
Well, I really think that as silicon is non-metal then its oxide is acidic oxide. ;)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no some oxides are neutral which have no reaction with acids or bases,anyway i got that.It is neutral oxide

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no there are some oxides which are neutral-carbon monoxide is neutral but carbon dioxide is acidic,silicon(II)oxide is neutral silicon(IV)oxide is acidic!!so u have to remember them!some are amphoteric with both acidic and basic properties!!got it??if not check your notes!:)

Reaction score
Silicon oxide is an acidic because if you see the part that talks about extraction of Iron from the blast furnace it says limestone is converted to quick lime which is used to remove ACIDIC IMPURITIES SUCH AS SILICON OXIDE.

Neutral oxides include Nitrogen monoxide,water(can be referred to sometimes as amphoteric) and Carbon monoxide

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
i said that silicon(IV)oxide is acidic but silicon(II)oxide is neutral

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
ok then why do u say carbon monoxide is neutral carbon is a nonmetal and carbon dioxide is acidic as well!:)

Reaction score
It could be an exception because we studied that these 3 oxides that I mentioned are neutral oxides and the rest all are either basic,acidic or amphoteric

Ivo

Reaction score
The neutral oxides that you need to know for IGCSE are:

Carbon monoxide (note carbon dioxide is an acidic oxide)

Nitrogen(I) oxide (N2O) and Nitrogen (II) Oxide (NO) are neutral oxides, but Nitrogen dioxide (or nitrogen (IV) oxide NO2 is an acidic oxide).