• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P1 and P2 today

Reaction score
The mass of the tablet was o.500 grams. It contained 0.312 grams of CaCO3, according to my calculations.
I attempted this question and my answer was .4 g I think. From the graph the volume of CO2 evolved was 96 cm. So the moles of CO2 would be 96/24000=.004 moles
In the next part as the molar ratio of CaCO3 to CO2 is according to this equation CaCO3 + 2HCl=CaCl2 + H2O + CO2 1:1 so
0.004 * CaCO3 MR
0.004 *100=0.4 g

Reaction score
It is. The paper says 'you MAY use a soft pencil for diagrams' which means that you can use a pen too.
Yup, thats xactly y i used a pen, plus a frnd of mine said that the image is not completely clear in scanning if drawn with pencil .. so i was just thinking that y take the risk

Reaction score
Yup, thats xactly y i used a pen, plus a frnd of mine said that the image is not completely clear in scanning if drawn with pencil .. so i was just thinking that y take the risk

That's not the case either, even an ordinary house-hold scanner can scan the images quite clearly. They use much better scanners.

Reaction score
And yet.. I stand here. Hoping that someone got this right. :confused:
got that right... it wasnt that hard though i mean for it to be anitrate there had to be aluminium powder too but it gave ammonia with NaOH only which means it was NH4. The rest of the atoms left i.e. V and 3O constituted the other ion bcoz at o levels papers they can only expect us to predict two ions per compound and hence the VO3. Btw.. i saw ur posts on the english thread. You seem like an A star student (y)

Reaction score
got that right... it wasnt that hard though i mean for it to be anitrate there had to be aluminium powder too but it gave ammonia with NaOH only which means it was NH4. The rest of the atoms left i.e. V and 3O constituted the other ion bcoz at o levels papers they can only expect us to predict two ions per compound and hence the VO3. Btw.. i saw ur posts on the english thread. You seem like an A star student (y)

Well, hoping for A*'s in these CIE's. INSHA ALLAH. Thanks for the complement. :)
Yeah, two things;
- No aluminium was mentioned.
- They asked the TWO ions that were present in the compound.
Gave off the answer to be Ammonium ion and Metavanadate ion.