• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P1 and P2 today

Reaction score
That's non-sense. You might get credits for wrong or partially correct answers in Theory but NEVER in MCQ's.
ok but then whats this?
Read the instructions on the Answer Sheet very carefully.
Each correct answer will score one mark. A mark will not be deducted for a wrong answer.
Any rough working should be done in this booklet.
A copy of the Periodic Table is printed on page 16.

i have copied this from oct 2012 paper 11 .

Reaction score
ok but then whats this?
Each correct answer will score one mark. A mark will not be deducted for a wrong answer.

WILL NOT BE DEDUCTED means no negative marking like in some papers. CIE is very lenient on this matter! Unlike others, they don't do negative marking otherwise your marks would be deducted for every WRONG answer you wrote. Hope that explains it. :)

Reaction score
ok but then whats this?

heloooo -_- no negative marking would be done for wrong answer thats what they meant to say:p

Reaction score
ok but then whats this?

it means there is no negative marking! a mark will not be deducted if your answer is wrong! u will get 0 for it!

Reaction score
it was sodium!
i did the same bt u knw Na z so reactiv k evn b4 adng it in reaction mixtur n heating, it may b oxidized by air so my friend says
wrote carbon...as carbon is a good reducing agent and good at accepting oxygen ..to become ...CO or CO2..all others are oxidising agent .....so if we are to reduce mgO ... We need a reducing agent...which is carbon only!
But then i argued with aluminium reduçng iron oxide to iron in thermite ? So ?

Reaction score
WILL NOT BE DEDUCTED means no negative marking like in some papers. CIE is very lenient on this matter! Unlike others, they don't do negative marking otherwise your marks would be deducted for every WRONG answer you wrote. Hope that explains it. :)
heloooo -_- no negative marking would be done for wrong answer thats what they meant to say:p
okay thanks.
I will remove the misunderstanding of ppl who told me .

Reaction score
i did the same bt u knw Na z so reactiv k evn b4 adng it in reaction mixtur n heating, it may b oxidized by air so my friend says
wrote carbon...as carbon is a good reducing agent and good at accepting oxygen ..to become ...CO or CO2..all others are oxidising agent .....so if we are to reduce mgO ... We need a reducing agent...which is carbon only!
But then i argued with aluminium reduçng iron oxide to iron in thermite ? So ?
carbon can never displace Mg because it is less reactive as compared to Mg!

Reaction score
to to remove doubts if they said one end of metal was heated than one direction movement is correct if who metal was heated than the other would be correct

It is specified in the book endorsed by cambridge that only electrons move. Positive charges remain at their location. Hence, electrons would move carrying the heat and in one direction :)

Reaction score
but why in just one direction?
doesnt electrons have random movement?

No, they don't move randomly. Yes, you must have read that in physics that heat energy is transferred by random movement of electrons making them good thermal conductors. However, I believe this theory may not apply to chemistry according to the book. I may be wrong but I guess, the direction would be in one direction, better ask your teachers ;)

Reaction score
No, they don't move randomly. Yes, you must have read that in physics that heat energy is transferred by random movement of electrons making them good thermal conductors. However, I believe this theory may not apply to chemistry according to the book. I may be wrong but I guess, the direction would be in one direction, better ask your teachers ;)
science science hoti hai! physics ho ya chemistry :p

Reaction score
Both of u and EVERYONE ELSE can u tell me one thing
I heard that in paper 1 full mark is not deducted even if we get the mcq wrong?????? There r mostly 2 ans ( right 1 is from them) which r better than others. If we chose any from them partial credit is given. Also check the first page of paper 1 where instructions r given.
they might not give u full marks in the mcq section but surely wont give partial credit otherwise everyone wud be getting an A atleast!!!!....o_Oo_O.....
And there are surely no mcqs with 2 answers and there is nothing as BETTER.... the mcq might be confusing but surely has only one answer which fits it.... :)