• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P34. What i know

Reaction score
umm, i can't get second part.. where the question says to calculate the moles of KMnO4 pipitted out of graduated flask..
will the ans be.. ANSWER TO PART (i) x 25/250 ??

Reaction score
Dude, umm yeah yer info matches mine :D
The cations Aluminium, Zinc and Lead are confirm! I've kinda given my Chem.33 practical ( *posted the details too :p) and i asked around about the 34 variant, and the amalgamation of what the sources say adds up :D

Reaction score
look in frst part u'll first find out the concentration by dividing 28.44mol/dm^3 by the Mr of KMnO4 which is 158
den v'll apply c = n/v

c= 0.18 mol/dm^3
v = 41 - 41 cm^3 ( whatever u took in part (a)

m= .00747

we will get the moles of KMnO4 by this

den in second part its asked in 250 cm^3 so we will use ratio

.00747------------250
x----------------25
cross multiply :D

Reaction score
WOW! ur amazing man thx....also..um how do we distinguish between lead and aluminium ions?????and also...the burette reading we write to 2 decimal places right??? so if we get a reading like 23.4 , can write it as an "impossible" reading like 23.42??? or should we leave it as 23.40.... OR... do we round to the nearest 0.05 so wud it be like 23.45??cus thats what we do with temperature right? we round to nearest 0.5..

Reaction score
for oct 08 paper 32, first question part c and the third question(with the 2 equations eg; MnO...) how to solve that?

Reaction score
round off nearest to 0.5 do not write impossible reading! and yes lead and aluminium ions can be distinguised by adding dil. sulfuric acid.. lead ppt is insoluble in acid while Aluminium ppt is soluble!

Reaction score
to differentiate b/w lead and aluminium : add any chloride for eg barium chloride.. lead chloride is insoluble whereas Aluminiom chloride is soluble...

bout the burette.. if ur gettin a reading between 23.4 and 23.5 u'll take 23.45,..

Reaction score
The only extra thing i'm hearin is titration is of KMnO4 with sodium thiosulphate,
and the rate of reaction question involves placing a paper with an 'X' mark beneath a flask in which the solution turns cloudy and you have to note that time!

Reaction score
titration oct/nov, 2008 paper 32 q1 is titration of thiosulphate wid KMnO4

nd may june 2003 qs 1 is the 'X' mark one!! chek out the papers i hav mentioned in my 1st comment

Reaction score
@ feelguud77 lol, my friends say dat i look lyk him, specially my hair.. :p

Reaction score
@airborne.. u jus hav to use the mole ratio in these equations!

Reaction score
*sigh* people in multan rarely know about cressida cowell, let alone the dude with the hair :p

Reaction score
it will be like this
since 5 e- in MnO4 eq nd 1 in I-
ans since I2 has half moles
so
5/2 moles of I2 give one mole of MnO4
cross multiply

x............0.000747