• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P4| A2 only

Reaction score
ASA,
Can anyone explain the chromatography thing? like what is the stationary phase? what is the mobile phase? what are the two types of seperation techniques used in chromatography, like adsobtion and partition?
I have read it many times in the support booklet and in Chemguide but still can't understand it.. any help would be greatly appreciated!
paper chromatography.....relies on partition...in which the substance is partitioned between water trapped b/w cellulose fibres and the mobile solvent......
TLC uses adsorption mechanism....it is usually a kind of tile .....whose surface has lots of OHs sticking out from the silica compound it is actually made...of so substance cn form boonds of varying strength with this or get dissolved in mobile phase and get carried upward......u shud memorise marksccheme definition of PARTITION and adsorption......as for glc.....we have an inert gas such as helium as the carrier gas....and carbowax....a non polar hydrocarbon as the stationary phase.....the same is tru for HPLC...bt u dont have a carrier gas....rather u have a liquid under hogh pressure as the carrier........u shud knw wat does retention time means....and be able interpret the glc graph and that area represent the proportion of particular substance present in the mixture

Reaction score
Briefly explain why the benzene molecule is planar?
Briefly explain why all the carbon-carbon bonds in benzene are the same length?
why is length of carbon-carbon bond in benzene different from simple carbon-carbon sigma bond?+
one cnfusion....according to kekule structure ....benzene wud still be planar molecule ryt????
the only problem wud be differing carbon-carbon bond lengths ....m i ryt???

Reaction score
for triiodomethane test carboxylic acid methy ketone is not counted....does any one has any idea why?.
myt find useful

Reaction score
thats easy,,,,,see takin g reaction 1 asn reference.....i doubled methanol so rate will get doubled.....and i increaesed H+ BY FOUR TIMES SO RATE WIL INCREASE 4 TIMES .....OVERALL RATE INCREASES 2*4 TIME THAT IS 8 TIMES w.r.t to rxn 1 rate....so neew rate is 8.00

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s10_qp_41.pdf
how can 1 anser question 1 last part if he has not seen the structure beforeeee
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s10_qp_41.pdf
q2 part a ....isnt the property that transition lement forms colored ions A physical property???MS mentions it as chemical property
q3 c(i)
why is there lone pair on dichloro carbene's carbon....shudnt there be two unpaired electrons rather than a single lone pair

Reaction score
can anyone explain what probes are and where exactly they are used in electrophoresis?

Reaction score
thats easy,,,,,see takin g reaction 1 asn reference.....i doubled methanol so rate will get doubled.....and i increaesed H+ BY FOUR TIMES SO RATE WIL INCREASE 4 TIMES .....OVERALL RATE INCREASES 2*4 TIME THAT IS 8 TIMES w.r.t to rxn 1 rate....so neew rate is 8.00
so we have to concider the mole ration here?

Reaction score

Attachments

• f.PNG
    f.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Can somebody explain how to do ques 9 (a) for O/N 07

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w07_qp_4.pdf

& ques 7 (a) for O/N 09 variant 42 , how to draw primary, secondary & tertiary structures ?

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_42.pdf

And also how to draw dxy, dyz, dxz, dx2-y2, dz2 ? Do we draw in 3D form ?
Thanks.

for question 9)a as the question has mentioned energy states so it is better to describe how 1H line up when magnetic field is applied and the energy difference between the two levels and lastly for the structure for the information of the structure of molecules state how does adjacent 1H gives to peak variation !!

and while drawing primary structure you must show sequence of amino acids linked with each other and for secondary structure you can just show hydrogen bonding between two amino acids and for tertiary you can show any type of bonding but the best is to show di-sulphide bridge !!!

Reaction score
the best answer for this is to say that High[NaOH] increases the rate of reaction !!!
bt how???
wel i have a cnfusion.......whenver we do an electrophilic substitution ......only hyddrogen gets substituted.......is there any possibilty that one of the substituents like chlorine myt also get substituted?

Reaction score

Cr_es.jpg

Reaction score
How are supposed to do 3.a) ??
Are we supposed to know how d-orbitals look like???????? :eek:
There was another question paper also asking for the shape of d-orbitals of metal cation in a complex ion. I know that three of them are on lower energy level and the other two on higher.
The normal shape of even-energy d-orbitals... I heard someone said they are like double-dumbbells.
We have to know the shapes of d orbitals people!
images