• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 1 and 2

Reaction score
yeast isnt an enzyme.. it contains an enzyme named zymase. . . .
nd frm the last three years we hav been studying tht enzymes dont take part in the chemical reactions,, so it is corect.. nd in chemistry we havnt been taught abt any organic catalyst so we shud stick to r sylabus nd not answer acording to higher level..
the ppr was so easy nd even then we are fighting over our ansers .. :S

Reaction score
Mobeen said:
yeast isnt an enzyme.. it contains an enzyme named zymase. . . .
nd frm the last three years we hav been studying tht enzymes dont take part in the chemical reactions,, so it is corect.. nd in chemistry we havnt been taught abt any organic catalyst so we shud stick to r sylabus nd not answer acording to higher level..
the ppr was so easy nd even then we are fighting over our ansers .. :S

i agree with you man and i confirmed this from the CIE!!!

Reaction score
people.... enzymes are organic catalysts and this is in chemistry o level books... and sadly the A option was correct.. though i too chose B..

Reaction score
catalysts do not take part in reactions. they may be inorganic or organic. but i think that the option about catalysts not taking part in reaction is correct because this is how it has been defined in mark schemes, examiner reports, past papers, syllabuses and even books.

Reaction score
yeast is a microorganism, not an organic catalyst
if u r refering to that fermentation reaction or the one about bread rising (bio 5090 syll) then yeast respires anaerobically producing carbon dioxide and ethnol. and so yeast does not speed up the reaction but only carries out its own processes.

Reaction score
o bhai... if u study then u knw about enzymes.... AMYLASES, LIPASES, PROTEASES r enzymes that are made of proteins and r inorganic...catalyst remains unchanged at the end.. but this doesnt mean it didnt take part in the reaction... wen u knw about the detail of a catalytic reaction then u ll understand

Reaction score
my paper dint go too well......:( any guesses abt percentile this year??? did many people get their answers right ??? i am tensed.

Reaction score
there is no point arguing on tht 1 mark question. . tell me wht was the answer to the sodium question .. in P1 .. we were given melting point , density nd conductivity ..

Reaction score
catalysts donot take part in the reaction but give a low energy reaction pathway thus lowering the activation energy but they donot take part in the reaction as they remain chemically and physically unchanged which is not possible if the did. And enzymes are organic catalysts but we DONT need to mention that as it is definitly NOT in ou syllabus!
ANd about that mcq shldnt the molecular mass be same?

Reaction score
h_jay said:

if u r talkin abt the mcq in which hydrogen amount was same i think .. the answer was empircal formula..

Reaction score
Mobeen said:
h_jay said:

if u r talkin abt the mcq in which hydrogen amount was same i think .. the answer was empircal formula..

i also agree with mobeen that it is emperical formula because molecular mass depends upon the the other products aswell!!!! while emperical formula is the reacting ratio!!!

Reaction score
yes .. this question has cum many times in past pprs .. nd mark schemes also say the answer is empirical formula.. :D

Reaction score
who says that organic catalysts are not present in our syllabus. It is clearly written "define enzymes as BIOLOGICAL catalysts...... " . Thought I too marked it B. :(

Reaction score
hamid_ishfaq said:
i told you guys that organic catalysts do exist but at our stage atleast in chemistry we havent studied organic catalysts and so the answer is (b) and i have a link to site which tells that catalysts dont take part in a reaction

heres the links

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sci ... alysts.htm

LOLs. in the second line it is written "Enzymes function as organic catalysts. A catalyst is a chemical involved in, but not changed by, a chemical reaction. "

INVOLVED signifies that they DO take part in reactions!!!!

Reaction score
ans was A... ab bas bhi kardo... MS aye gi tou dekh lena.... agay ke papers ki khair manao...