• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 1 Doubts Here... !

Reaction score
gary221 said:
xIshtar said:
narutogirl said:
i have a question how can we sperate sulfur from sand ?

Hmm, if sand is silicon(iv) oxide, is it not soluble in an organic solvent, as it is a covalent compound? If not, I have no clue, sorry.

hey is sulfur soluble in water??

Do not believe so.. It's a simple non-metal after all.

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
guyz, another chemistry doubt in this paper ---> http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/inde...GCSE/0620 - Chemistry/&file=0620_s05_qp_1.pdf

The mark scheme says B. Can someone explain why it is D and not B ?

Thnx :D

well you have to know the steps for the production of iron
the main reducing agent for this process is the carbon monoxide..now how is it done? first we have the carbon and oxygen react to form carbon dioxide..then we have this carbon dioxide reacting with the carbon to form the carbon monoxide..this now will react with the carbon monoxide
iron(3)oxide + carbon monoxide---> iron + carbon dioxide...(this is how iron oxide was reduced)

then the oxygen and oxygen oxides (like the CaO) is added to remove the impurities (we oxidise the impurities that are sulfur, phosphors, silicon and carbon)

xIshtar said:
narutogirl said:
i have a question how can we sperate sulfur from sand ?

Hmm, if sand is silicon(iv) oxide, is it not soluble in an organic solvent, as it is a covalent compound? If not, I have no clue, sorry.

all i know that sulfur isn't soluble in water either because it is an insoluble yellow solid..and i was thinking maybe it is soluble in an organic solvent..:/
oh n btw isn't covalent compounds soluble in most organic solvents?

Reaction score
MohammedNoor said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_s07_qp_1.pdf

in q 3 answer is A but it should be B as i think can anyone help me out

plz

Noor
see, u hve to look at d scale
it crosses the 5 mrk
hence it shud be mre than _5 sth not less thn
hence
d ans is A

Reaction score
i have a question..does water affect the alkilinty and acidity of something?
and does it affect its reactions with other reactants?

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
i have a question..does water affect the alkilinty and acidity of something?
and does it affect its reactions with other reactants?

All i know is that water makes an acid or alkali more dilute.
umm... not sure about the 2nd qs though. well, if it is electrolysis then ya, it would affect the final products that u get. But adding water to acids and alkalis, i don`t think it affects the actual reaction just whether they are more concentrated or dilute.

Hope it helps :D

Reaction score
Hey please help me, O/N 08, number 23. I don't know why the answer is A!!

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
ok, quick question, why is the barium chloride obtained by crystallisation and not filtration in Q19 ( Answer is B) in this paper --> http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/inde...GCSE/0620 - Chemistry/&file=0620_w06_qp_1.pdf

Shouldn`t it be obtained the same way that barium sulphate is obtained- by filtration since barium sulphate is a precipitate ?
I am soo bad at this salt stuff :/

Another qs in the same paper as in the link above. Q27, why is it B and not A. Even if carbon does not reduce the magnesium oxide, won`t the carbon react with the air in the tube to form CO2 ? :shock:

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
AStarHunter said:
ok, quick question, why is the barium chloride obtained by crystallisation and not filtration in Q19 ( Answer is B) in this paper --> http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/inde...GCSE/0620 - Chemistry/&file=0620_w06_qp_1.pdf

Shouldn`t it be obtained the same way that barium sulphate is obtained- by filtration since barium sulphate is a precipitate ?

Another qs in the same paper as in the link above. Q27, why is it B and not A. Even if carbon does not reduce the magnesium oxide, won`t the carbon react with the air in the tube to form CO2 ? :shock:

xD yes it's B but you are so smart, and you ink deeply, which shouldn't be the case.. Good luck :)

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:

well because barium chloride is soluble..because all salt halides except with lead and silver are soluble so that's why we crystalize..while barium sulfate is insoluble so we filter

Kokeeto said:
because an acid can react with all of them but can't react with a salt..:/

i have a question in may/june 2004 number 30 :/..explain please

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
AStarHunter said:

well because barium chloride is soluble..because all salt halides except with lead and silver are soluble so that's why we crystalize..while barium sulfate is insoluble so we filter

Kokeeto said:
because an acid can react with all of them but can't react with a salt..:/

i have a question in may/june 2004 number 30 :/..explain please

Ok, so for qs 30, basically, when they heat the alkali, water evaporates and thus, it is the distillate. As the pH of sodium hydroxide is high (like 12 or something) and the pH of the water is around 7 then thus the pH of the distillate (i.e. water) is lower.
Now, that you have evaporated the water, the aqueous sodium hydroxide has become more concentrated and thus, its pH is higher.

Hope, u get it :D

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
AStarHunter said:

It is B. Simply because of what you said, the MgO is too reactive to be reduced.. The carbon will not react with the air no..

Reaction score
Reaction score
Never Discuss the paper before 24 hours again or you will be permenantly banned !!!!!!!!!
I know people are discussing past papers here but two other members were involved in paper discussion !! please make a sperate topic for PAST PAPER discussion