• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 21 discussion

Reaction score
There wasn't an alcohol in the organic compound as far as I recall. Crotonaldehyde it was :/

As for percentage purity, I got 43.3% :/

I even got 43.3% because of the mole ratio 1:2 if you got something 80% that's wrong, because you did not take the mole ratio...

The equation is (NH4)2SO4 + 2NaOH = 2NH3 + Na2SO4 + 2H2O

My Equation was wrong but the percentage was correct

My Equation --> (NH4)2SO4 + 2NaOH = NH3 + NaHSO3 + H2O

I didnt balance it because time was up... but i knew that the mole ratio was 1:2 because I did this equation long back...

Reaction score
What about the organic stuff...there were all 4 of the mechanisms right?? The one where we had to write the mechanism and reagents
What about for the last question with cold n hot manganate ions..did u get diol first and then ketones were formed??

Reaction score
Someone pls explain the Clf3 and ClBr3 question..the difference in their boiling point ?

Reaction score
I even got 43.3% because of the mole ratio 1:2 if you got something 80% that's wrong, because you did not take the mole ratio...

The equation is (NH4)2SO4 + 2NaOH = 2NH3 + Na2SO4 + 2H2O

My Equation was wrong but the percentage was correct

My Equation --> (NH4)2SO4 + 2NaOH = NH3 + NaHSO3 + H2O

I didnt balance it because time was up... but i knew that the mole ratio was 1:2 because I did this equation long back...

Alhumdulilah :) It took me some time to get this equation. I left the question in the start and came back after completing the rest of the paper.

43.3% check.

Reaction score
What was the answer for the difference in boiling points between ClF3 and BrF3 ?
Is it to do with the difference in size and strength of van der Waals ?

Reaction score
One of my friends also got 80% because he did something else in the (ii) of the moles question. I'm sure there's an E.C.F on the question, so as long as you showed your working and it's correct according to your answers, then they'll just minus you one or two marks!
Damnn! I just realised.. I hadn't balanced the second equation right :(