• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY PAPER 21

Reaction score
one second

Cl + H2O --> HCl + HClO ....can anyone tell me how does any 1 of these products act as an oxidising agent??

Question was --- the element which reacts with water to give a product that can act as an oxidising agent

Note --> All oxidising agents undergo reduction in their reactions while oxidising other things

Reaction score
Evolular said:
one second

Cl + H2O --> HCl + HClO ....can anyone tell me how does any 1 of these products act as an oxidising agent??

Question was --- the element which reacts with water to give a product that can act as an oxidising agent

Note --> All oxidising agents undergo reduction in their reactions while oxidising other things

Yea dude...but remember this equation is used to describe water purification....after HClO is formed in the water it decomposes slowly to give HCl and 'O' atom which is very reactive....since its givin OUT oxygen it is OXIDISING other substances and hence gettin reduced itself...AKA oxidising agent. :idea:

Reaction score
1992 said:
oh got one wrong :S the one of Na
did anyone know how to circle the pair of electrons?'

yeah look the ccoordinate bonds is a bond in which both the electrons are provided by the same element!! soo u should have circled the one with both the X's OR both the O's!!!
i don't really remember which one it waz!!

and the carboxylic groups in the last question waz 2 rite??
and the nitrile with H2SO4 gives a carboxylic acid???

Reaction score
yes it forms 2 carboxyilic acid.
does anyone remember the one which was a large organic molecule and then it said , Add H2CO3, something like that, it was a carbonate. what organic molecule should it have formed?' An acid maibe??