• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistry paper 61 need help exam in couple of hours!!

Reaction score
guys the question about electrolysis my friend said he had this question where they asked him " why does anode takes more time to give gas than cathode" my reaction was X_X !!!!!!
can someone explain why this happens?

and also there are questions where they bring you 2 experiments A and B and then they ask why does test tube B cracks but A does not??

any idea of possible reasons??

Reaction score
guys the question about electrolysis my friend said he had this question where they asked him " why does anode takes more time to give gas than cathode" my reaction was X_X !!!!!!
can someone explain why this happens?

and also there are questions where they bring you 2 experiments A and B and then they ask why does test tube B cracks but A does not??

any idea of possible reasons??
because some of the gas is dissolved in the solution thats why it takes longer time to be evolved ~~

Reaction score
are you sure someone told me that "Positive metal ions are denser than non metals ions So it takes alonger time to reach the anode"

Reaction score
I'm sure man , check the mark scheme and tell me if i'm wrong so that we can both benefit ;) btw when is youm exam ?

Reaction score
there's a similar question in October november 2008 Q 2 c
it says why bubbles of gas were not seen immediatley on the anode , the answer is : the gas is dissolved in the solution
that's all what i know man , hope that it helped you !

Reaction score
i think that one of the experiment might have a delivery tube involved so due to suck back which can cause the test tube to crack!!!!!!