• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb..

To get things organized in a better way, I am making this thread. As othewise, some queries remain unanswered!

So post your CHEMISTRY doubts in this thread. InshaAllah members around will help you.

Any Chemistry related notes and links will be added here in this post. Feel free to provide the links to your notes around the forum, or any other websites!

Chemistry Notes:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk This is the website, which contains almost everything classified according to the syllabus.

Tips for solving chemistry MCQs 9701/01

Chemistry P5 Tips and Notes

Some links & Notes - by 'destined007'

Chemistry worksheets Link shared by hassam

Chemistry Application Booklet: Mistakes and Corrections!

Calculations for A level Chemistry, author E.N. Ramsden third edition ebook download.

Regards,
XPC Staff.

Can u tell me the difference between the combustion reaction of "alkanes" and "alkenes"...??

Reaction score
There ain't any difference. Carbondioxide and water are produced in both cases. Just be careful with the balancing of the equations! :)
Can u tell me the difference between the combustion reaction of "alkanes" and "alkenes"...??

Yep, CO2 and H20 are the products in both cases however the only difference is that the moles of H20 produced are different simply because of the fact that the number of hydrogen atoms differ, so burning ethane will produce more moles of H20 than ethene

Reaction score
Thanks, i know this, what is was trying to ask was that there was written something like this in a book:
"Like alkanes, alkenes burn to give H2O + CO2. However alkenes contain more carbon in proportion to hydrogen than do alkanes. This means that they need relatively more oxygen to burn completely than do alkanes."
What i don't get is that if we look at the equations of ethane and ethene, ethane needs more oxygen for combustion completely than ethene.
Ch3-CH3 + 7O2 .......> 2CO2 + 3H2O

CH2=CH2 + 6O2 ........> 2CO2 + 2H2O

So this shows that the amount of oxygen needed for combustion depends on the no. of hydrogen atoms present...
Am I correct....???

Reaction score
what is the main type of bonding that holds the alkanes and alcohols together in their solid or liquid states?

Reaction score

To get things organized in a better way, I am making this thread. As othewise, some queries remain unanswered!

So post your CHEMISTRY doubts in this thread. InshaAllah members around will help you.

Any Chemistry related notes and links will be added here in this post. Feel free to provide the links to your notes around the forum, or any other websites!

Chemistry Notes:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk This is the website, which contains almost everything classified according to the syllabus.

Calculations for A level Chemistry, author E.N. Ramsden third edition ebook download.

Regards,
XPC Staff.

There was something written like this in a book:

"Like alkanes, alkenes burn to give H2O + CO2. However alkenes contain more carbon in proportion to hydrogen than do alkanes. This means that they need relatively more oxygen to burn completely than do alkanes."

What i don't get is that if we look at the equations of ethane and ethene, ethane needs more oxygen for complete combustion than ethene.
Ch3-CH3 + 7O2 ..........> 2CO2 + 3H2O

So this shows that the amount of oxygen needed for combustion depends on the no. of hydrogen atoms present not the ratio of carbon to hydrogen...!!
Am I correct....???

Reaction score

Chemistry Notes:

Regards,
XPC Staff.

In David Acaster its written that the tertiary carbocations are more stable than the primary carbocations. Alkyl groups tend to release electrons to atoms attached to them. Therefore a tertiary carbocation has three alkyl groups donating electrons towards the positively charged carbon atom, reducing its charge density. This makes it more stable than a primary carbocation.
But in E.N. Ramsdan its written that the tertiary carbocation is very unstable and reactive, so the second step is fast. No reason mentioned for it being unstable.

The tertiary carbocation is Stable or UNstable....???
Please Reply!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
In David Acaster its written that the tertiary carbocations are more stable than the primary carbocations. Alkyl groups tend to release electrons to atoms attached to them. Therefore a tertiary carbocation has three alkyl groups donating electrons towards the positively charged carbon atom, reducing its charge density. This makes it more stable than a primary carbocation.
But in E.N. Ramsdan its written that the tertiary carbocation is very unstable and reactive, so the second step is fast. No reason mentioned for it being unstable.

The tertiary carbocation is Stable or UNstable....???
Please Reply!!
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb,

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/eladd/carbonium.html#top

^Check this..

So we come to the conclusion that tertiary carbo cation is relatively more stable than the primary or secondary one.

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb,

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/eladd/carbonium.html#top

^Check this..

So we come to the conclusion that tertiary carbo cation is relatively more stable than the primary or secondary one.
Thanks, can u ans this ques as well

What i don't get is that if we look at the equations of ethane and ethene, ethane needs more oxygen for complete combustion than ethene.

So this shows that the amount of oxygen needed for combustion depends on the no. of hydrogen atoms present not the ratio of carbon to hydrogen...!!
Am I correct....???

Reaction score
So i shouldn't read E.N. Ramsdan because there are errors in it...???

Well the thing is since CIE endorses their own book they won't leave any space for errors due to the material contained in it so technically you should stick to it.

Reaction score
Thanks, can u ans this ques as well

Am I correct....???
"Burning completely" mean "less side reactions", not how much oxygen it requires. Most things, when reacted with oxygen will not simply pour out water and CO2. You're going to get a lot of side products (carbon monoxide being one) and a lot of unreacted hydrocarbon, simply because of the nature of the reactants. So, just remember, that more oxygen needs to be supplied to the alkene to make it burn completely, irrespective of how much it uses.
I hope that tends to satisfy! :)

Reaction score
"Burning completely" mean "less side reactions", not how much oxygen it requires. Most things, when reacted with oxygen will not simply pour out water and CO2. You're going to get a lot of side products (carbon monoxide being one) and a lot of unreacted hydrocarbon, simply because of the nature of the reactants. So, just remember, that more oxygen needs to be supplied to the alkene to make it burn completely, irrespective of how much it uses.
I hope that tends to satisfy! :)

Thanks, Yeah i does Help!! :-D

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb
Can someone please help me with this qn
Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 2.32.38 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-12-04 at 2.32.45 AM.png

i need a detailed explanation please, for both parts i and ii)
tx a million.