• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
like if on the x axis the point we have to plot is 7 and in each small square is equal to 2 digits, so the point should come in between the 3rd and 4th point. So the examiners wont mark it wrong if we place the point on 3rd square or on the 4th square?? or do we plot the point in between the 3rd and 4th point and they will just not mark it wrong??? thnx for all the help guys :))
For eg: the plotted point must be on seven, and if seven comes right in the center of the small square, then you can plotted either half a square underneath, or half a square above it. basically, any slight variation won't cause a loss of mark..

Reaction score
ok then if we are to plot a point 7.2 between the same squares as before so if we plot it on the 3 or 4 digit it doesnt matter than right( like i can round it )???

Reaction score
another thing written in the marksheme ( allow the cnadidate to select up to five anomalies which must include that furthest from the line) so whats it talking abt?

Reaction score
another thing written in the marksheme ( allow the cnadidate to select up to five anomalies which must include that furthest from the line) so whats it talking abt?
The points that do not lie on your best fit line.. they are way off and are obviously wrong. so depending on the student's line, the anomalies can be up to 5..

Reaction score
hey in that file i dont understand m4 and m5. Like in the experiments they ask for all of these things except these 2 that i have seen. So m4 and m5 do we have to write them in every experiment whether they ask or not. Cause i did not used to write the procedure in full detail of the experiment. In m4 about the arrangement of the apparatus is it referring to the drawing of the apparatus that we do in previous parts?? And i dont get what do we have to write in m5 at all. Can u help plzz as u have been doing all this time

Reaction score
hey in that file i dont understand m4 and m5. Like in the experiments they ask for all of these things except these 2 that i have seen. So m4 and m5 do we have to write them in every experiment whether they ask or not. Cause i did not used to write the procedure in full detail of the experiment. In m4 about the arrangement of the apparatus is it referring to the drawing of the apparatus that we do in previous parts?? And i dont get what do we have to write in m5 at all. Can u help plzz as u have been doing all this time
M4 is talking about keeping everything constant except the independant variable (which differs depending on the experiment). so for example, you keep the temp of the surroundings constant so the increased or decreased temp doesnt affect the rate of the reaction.
M5 is talking about all the steps you'll include in your experiment. this is usually given in the question. This step only applies if the plan wasn't given to you.

Reaction score
right thanku i get it. m5 only applies if the plan isnt given to us like in questions of marks 7 and 8. Then we can try writing this step otherwise we should not write it, is that what u r saying? and i got another question that in some apparatus when boiling the apparatus we have to keep lid on the apparatus to prevent heat loss and sometimes we dont have to put the lid on like in j11/52. can u plzz explain me why we put the lid on in some cases and not in others? thanku :)

Reaction score
thanx,i've understood all the other things but could u plz tell me how to keep the other variables constant in that question?
For example, you're going to find the rate of the reaction and you're seeing the effect of conc, so you keep the temp of the surroundings constant by using an electrically controlled thermostat or u keep the temp of the solutions constant using a thermometer...

Reaction score
right thanku i get it. m5 only applies if the plan isnt given to us like in questions of marks 7 and 8. Then we can try writing this step otherwise we should not write it, is that what u r saying? and i got another question that in some apparatus when boiling the apparatus we have to keep lid on the apparatus to prevent heat loss and sometimes we dont have to put the lid on like in j11/52. can u plzz explain me why we put the lid on in some cases and not in others? thanku :)
You place the lid on top of a plystyrene cup usually in experiments that involve enthalpy changes... otherwise you can pretty much get the hint from the question. like if you're heating a solid, then you have to use a test tube with a rubber bung and a connected peice of apparatus such as a gas syringe.

again, it depends on the question.. maybe someone else in the forum has a better idea...but i hope i helped you:)

Reaction score
i need help on this ASAP , what happens if some one takes the formula sheet by mistake after the exam ?!

Reaction score
For example, you're going to find the rate of the reaction and you're seeing the effect of conc, so you keep the temp of the surroundings constant by using an electrically controlled thermostat or u keep the temp of the solutions constant using a thermometer**...
Or do experiment in a thermostatically controlled room
or keep the temp of the solutions constant using thermostatically controlled water bath**!

Reaction score
in j11 52 c we are trying to find the rate of rxn but we are not keeping the lid on the beaker. i dont understand that to take out rate of rxn accurately shouldnt we try to reduce heat loss by putting lid?
papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s10_qp_52.pdf