• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
An organic compound, Z, will react with calcium metal to produce a salt with the empirical formula
CaC4H6O4.
What could be the identity of Z?
1 ethanoic acid
2 butanedioic acid
3 methylpropanedioic acid

Answer is 1 only. Why?

Attachments

• PIC_0739.JPG
    PIC_0739.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Hi, anybody can help me?
Nov 2011-13 Q28

A reaction between chlorine and propane in ultraviolet light produces two isomeric
monochloropropanes, C3HCl, as products. Which information about this reaction is correct?

expected ratio of 1-chloropropane to 2-chloropropane produced
A 3:1
B: 1:1

Reaction score
you guys , i have some questions
#33 in June 12 Variant 2 : why isn't the concentration of SO4 high?
In Al2Cl6 , how many non-bonded electron pairs are there ?
#35 I found , online, that the products of this reaction are N2 ,BaO, and MgO , but how am i expected to deduce this in an exam ?
#3 I figured it out using the data booklet , but i can't think of a logical explanation!
#12 isnt it 1 mol , 1.5 mol and 2 mol (MgO Al2O3 and SO2 respectively) how is it not A then?

Reaction score
I hope you understand from me . If 50% of the nitrogen tetraoxide dissociate then 0.5 moles remain if it was one mole , if 0.5 remains from nitogen tetraoxide then 1 mole of the product is formed because the ratio of moles is 1:2 . so the pressure constant would be the partial pressure of the product which is 1/1.5 multiplied with one , raised to the power 2 because that's the number of moles from the equation. the answer is then divided into the partial pressure of the reactant which is 0.5/1.5 x 1 , thus the answer is 4/3 ... any one correct me if I'm wrong please :)

Finally found an answer ! *sigh of relief*
Quite convincing , thanks ! :D

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
8 Which compound is the only gas at room temperature and pressure?
A CH3CH2CH2NH2 Mr = 59.0
B CH3CH2CH2OH Mr = 60.0
C CH2OHCH2OH Mr = 62.0
D CH3CH2Cl Mr = 64.5

Answer is D. Why? :eek:

Reaction score
35 Solids W, X, Y and Z are compounds of two different Group II metals. Some of their applications
are described below.
Compound W is used as a refractory lining material in kilns.
Compound X is used as a building material. It can also be heated in a kiln to form compound Y. When Y is hydrated, it forms compound Z which is used agriculturally to treat soils.
Which statements about these compounds are correct?
1 More acid is neutralised by 2.0 g of X than by 2.0 g of W.
2 TheMrofXisgreaterthantheMrofYby44.0.
3 The metallic element in Y reacts with cold water more quickly then the metallic element in W.

Answer is 2 and 3, why is 1 wrong?

Reaction score
Hi M
you guys , i have some questions
#33 in June 12 Variant 2 : why isn't the concentration of SO4 high?
In Al2Cl6 , how many non-bonded electron pairs are there ?
#35 I found , online, that the products of this reaction are N2 ,BaO, and MgO , but how am i expected to deduce this in an exam ?
#3 I figured it out using the data booklet , but i can't think of a logical explanation!
#12 isnt it 1 mol , 1.5 mol and 2 mol (MgO Al2O3 and SO2 respectively) how is it not A then?
Hi Mk driver, I'm not good in explaining but I can at least do Q12 in Nov 2005 for you.
Equation being formed is:
2Mg + O2 --> 2MgO
4Al +3O2 ---> 2Al2O3
S + O2 ---> SO2
Simplifying them since you need one mole of reactant, you'll get:
Mg + 0.5O2 ---> MgO
Al + 0.75O2 ---> 0.5Al2O3
S + 1O2 ---> SO2
Hence the trend in option D

For your Nov 2011-12 question,
Ba(NO3)2 ----> BaO + 2NO2 + 0.5O2
and Mg will b oxidised also to MgO because it says barium nitrate is oxidising agent.
I also dono this question at first, but my teacher solved it just in a matter of seconds haha. Good luck if youre taking A LEvels tomoro!

Reaction score
N
Q2_zps701622c9.png

How to do? Answer is D
Hi Jinosupreme;
Next time do check out examiner's remarks from xtremepapers. This time I copy and paste for u
The correct answer was D. The most commonly chosen incorrect answers were A and B.
These answers, A and B, both have compound X having a cyclopentane ring which would have to be
opened by the reaction with ammonia. This will not occur. Compound X must be 1,5-dibromooctane. The
reaction of 1,5-dibromooctane with ammonia takes place by nucleophilic substitution in two steps. In the first
step of the reaction an –NH2 group substitutes for one of the bromine atoms. Since this –NH group has a
lone pair it can attack the δ+ carbon atom of the second C-Br by the same nucleophilic mechanism, giving
coniine as the organic product.
BTW, IF POSSIBLE, help me out with POST 6757!

Reaction score
Hai guys,why is y in this question has an observation of colourless solution?Thanks

Attachments

• FD.png
    FD.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hi, anybody can help me?
Nov 2011-13 Q28

A reaction between chlorine and propane in ultraviolet light produces two isomeric
monochloropropanes, C3HCl, as products. Which information about this reaction is correct?

expected ratio of 1-chloropropane to 2-chloropropane produced
A 3:1
B: 1:1

Answer is 3:1
As propane CH3-CH2-CH3 there's total 6 H atom at the side C, but only 2 H atom at the C-2. Hence the chance of getting replace the H with C-1 will be 6 which form 1 chloropropane , and centre will be 2 which form 2 chloropropane,
6:2
Hence is 3:1 :) hope this helps

Reaction score
Answer is 3:1
As propane CH3-CH2-CH3 there's total 6 H atom at the side C, but only 2 H atom at the C-2. Hence the chance of getting replace the H with C-1 will be 6 which form 1 chloropropane , and centre will be 2 which form 2 chloropropane,
6:2
Hence is 3:1 :) hope this helps
Great! TQ!

Reaction score
The reaction is HCl + KI -> KCl + HI. No I2 form, hence is colourless as HI is a colourless solution
Bro,I think u made a small mistake there.Your explanation is for x .Nevertheless,I think i know what happened in yIts practically Agcl react with aqeous nh3 .The ppt gets dissolved n form colourless solution.Thank u boss.

Reaction score
Hi M
Hi Mk driver, I'm not good in explaining but I can at least do Q12 in Nov 2005 for you.
Equation being formed is:
2Mg + O2 --> 2MgO
4Al +3O2 ---> 2Al2O3
S + O2 ---> SO2
Simplifying them since you need one mole of reactant, you'll get:
Mg + 0.5O2 ---> MgO
Al + 0.75O2 ---> 0.5Al2O3
S + 1O2 ---> SO2
Hence the trend in option D

For your Nov 2011-12 question,
Ba(NO3)2 ----> BaO + 2NO2 + 0.5O2
and Mg will b oxidised also to MgO because it says barium nitrate is oxidising agent.
I also dono this question at first, but my teacher solved it just in a matter of seconds haha. Good luck if youre taking A LEvels tomoro!

Thank you :)
I am taking the exam tomorrow in shaa Allaah , good luck for you too! :D