• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
which ions are present in a solution of ethanol in an excess of concentrated sulphuric acid?
1) CH3CH2O^-1
2) CH3CH2^+OH2
3) HSO4^-1
The ions present in a solution of ethanol and H2SO4 are:
2H+
OH-
HSO4-
and the intermediate:
CH3CH2O+

View attachment 34691
Can anyone explain this question?
First:
2AL + 3/2O2 --> AL2O3
Mole ratio is 2:1 so 0.02 mol of Al will give 0.01 mole of AL2O3.

Then:
Al2O3 + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2O
Mole ratio is 1:6 so 0.01 mol of Al2O3 will react with 0.06 mol of HCl completely.

Vol. = Mol/concentration = 0.06/2 = 0.03 dm^3 = 30 cm^3

can anyone tell me the answer and explain why
Please
i)
Ksp = [Mg2+][OH-]^2 (It's the formula of Ksp)
The unit is therefore (mol/dm^3)3 = mol^3dm^-9

ii)
Concentration of Mg = x
Therefore, concentration of OH- for it to be saturated = 2x (because 2 moles of OH- ions react with 1 mol of Mg2+ ion)

Use the formula aboxe:
(x)(2x)^2 = 2*10^-11
4x^3 = 2*10^11
x = 1.71*10^-4 moldm^-3

iii)
The magnesium is saturated y calcium sol. until it reaches saturation. This means that the saturated part is left out. Therefore, the left out part would be:
x/total *100 = (1.71*10^-4/0.054) * 100 = 0.317 %
The % amount taken = % total - % left out = 100 - 0.317 = 99.7 %

can anyone tell me the answer and explain why
Please
The answer is A.
When using atomization energies, we can write the equation as:
C + 2 (H-H) => 4 (C-H)
Atomization energy of C will be given
Atomization of H2 will be given which can be used to calculate H-H:
1/2 H-H = Atomization energy
According to equation:
Formation of methane = bond energy = product energy - reactant energy
B is not the answer because we can only calculate the enthalpy of reaction using those values.
C is not the answer because there is no formula connecting formation and combustion for this question.
D is not the answer because it doesn't make sense.

Reaction score
The answer is A.
When using atomization energies, we can write the equation as:
C + 2 (H-H) => 4 (C-H)
Atomization energy of C will be given
Atomization of H2 will be given which can be used to calculate H-H:
1/2 H-H = Atomization energy
According to equation:
Formation of methane = bond energy = product energy - reactant energy
B is not the answer because we can only calculate the enthalpy of reaction using those values.
C is not the answer because there is no formula connecting formation and combustion for this question.
D is not the answer because it doesn't make sense.
How doesn't D make sense we can just find the formation of CH4 and divide by 4?
Thanks

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this one?
Why can't the answer be B??

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
in the Ms they take Mass as the volume of acid used why is that?

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
How doesn't D make sense we can just find the formation of CH4 and divide by 4?
Thanks
The definition of enthalpy energy of formation is defined as the energy change that takes place when 1 mole of a substance is formed from elements in it's standard state under standard conditions. It has nothing to do with bond energy. To make it clearer, if you take a look at the data booklet, the bond energy of CH bond is 413 kJ/mol while the enthalpy change of formation of CH4 is -75 kJ/mol.

Reaction score
The definition of enthalpy energy of formation is defined as the energy change that takes place when 1 mole of a substance is formed from elements in it's standard state under standard conditions. It has nothing to do with bond energy. To make it clearer, if you take a look at the data booklet, the bond energy of CH bond is 413 kJ/mol while the enthalpy change of formation of CH4 is -75 kJ/mol.
thanks so much could you help me with 2 other questions please

Reaction score
The answer cannot be B because if we use the combustion values we need 1 mole of PbO, in which case it will no longer have 1 mole of Pb3O4 and we will not be able to equate the formation and combustion values. The answer is D because when both values of formation are given we can simply use the formula and get our answer.

Have they used 20 cm^3?

Reaction score
they have used 30 cm^3 as the MASS but 30 cm^3 is the volume of the acid used? do we always just take volume instead of mass?
That is actually not so surprising because for liquids or aqueous substances, the formula for energy gained is in fact q=Vc(T2-T1).

Reaction score
AoA, please answer this for me.. A 5g sample of an anhydrous group 2 metal nitrate loss 3.29g mass on strong heating. What metal is present. How do u solve it?

Reaction score
AoA, please answer this for me.. A 5g sample of an anhydrous group 2 metal nitrate loss 3.29g mass on strong heating. What metal is present. How do u solve it?
Would you like to mention the full question please, there must be more added to this question. You just can't tell it simply that it is this element or this. Well All the nitrates in Group 2 undergo thermal decomposition to give the metal oxide, nitrogen dioxide and oxygen. So i just can't simply say that it is Mg, Ca ...etc. Also as you go down the group, these metal nitrates become more stable to heat. So you need to heat Ca more than Mg. Because Ca is below Mg, thus it is more heat stable than Mg.

Hope this helps :),
I am As student so i have told you what i have learnt, and that it supported the question.