• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
In an experiment, 50.0 cm3 of a 0.10 mol dm–3 solution of a metallic salt reacted exactly with
25.0cm3 of 0.10moldm–3 aqueous sodium sulphite. The half-equation for oxidation of sulphite ion is shown below.
SO3^2− (aq) + H2O(I) → SO4^2− (aq) + 2H+(aq) + 2e–
If the original oxidation number of the metal in the salt was +3, what would be the new oxidation
number of the metal?

Reaction score

If you find the ratio of salt to sulphite( simply by finding moles of salt and sulphite according to the info given) it comes out to be 2:1
& the equation shows 1 mole of sulphite looses 2 electron, therefore 2 mol of metallic salt gain those 2 electrons or 1 mol of metallic salt gains 1 mol of electron
therefore new O.N. of metal = +3-1=+2!

Reaction score
Hello. How do i do this? The answer is D
View attachment 53745
for the mercury level to rise at right end, the pressure being exerted from gases in bulb R should increase!
Now in option 1,if temp is increased, forward reaction is favoured, and will lead to the formation of 2 moles of the gas which will inturn exert greater pressure. However in option 2, there are equal no of moles on both sides of the equilibrium so even if as temp is increased backward reaction may be favoured but it'll not cause an INCREASE in pressure.

Reaction score
If you find the ratio of salt to sulphite( simply by finding moles of salt and sulphite according to the info given) it comes out to be 2:1
& the equation shows 1 mole of sulphite looses 2 electron, therefore 2 mol of metallic salt gain those 2 electrons or 1 mol of metallic salt gains 1 mol of electron
therefore new O.N. of metal = +3-1=+2!
thnk u SO much that was very helpful indeed :) <3

Last edited:
Reaction score
H3PO4 is generally not an oxidising agent thats why options A and B are wrong. For option C, During the reaction of NaCl and H2SO4, HCl (the acidic gas) is formed, if H2SO4 was a stronger oxidising agent it would go on and form the yellow/green gas of Cl2. but it didnot hence it is NOT a stronger oxidising agent. If H2SO4 was a stronger oxidising agent it would have Completely oxidised the Cl- to Cl2. For D NaI Reacts with H2SO4 to form HI, the HI is further oxidised by the H2SO4 to form the purple vapour of iodine; the I- got oxidised to I2 This shows that H2SO4 IS in. fact a stronger oxidising agent than iodine

Reaction score
How could it be C. The OH will combine with the H beside it to get removed as H20 and leave a double bond behind. In C the double bond formed is 2 carbons away from the position of OH. So the OH Could never reach the Hydrogen on that carbon 2 places away from it. In D the OH combines with the H on the Carbon right next to it ( they just showed a rotation in the figure in D to confuse you) I hope you understood what i mean