• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Oh yeah lol. I was thinking of it as the reactions taking place in the intermediate steps of substitution of Alkanes
The reaction of CH4 and Cl2 is a redox reaction.
Consider this equation: CH4 + Cl2 ---> CH3Cl + HCl
In this equation, Cl goes from 0 to -1 oxidation state, and C goes from -4 to -2. So it IS a redox reaction.

Thus both 1, 2 are correct.
24) The molecule could either be an ALCOHOL or an ETHER. It cannt be an ALDEHYDE or any other molcule with a carbonyl or carboxylic group. Thus (1) is not possible as the reaction can only happen if the molecule was an aldehyde, which it isnt.
(2) this could be possible in the case of an ether or TERTIARY ALCOHOL. It does not show a positive test with DNPH or TOLLENS REAGENT. It can also not be oxidized.
(3) this could be possible in the case of an PRIMARY OR SECONDARY ALCOHOL. It could be oxidized to an aldehyde and ketone respectively.

25) (1) An Aldehy will react with Fehlings Reagent. The Cu+2 ions are reduced whilst the aldehyde is oxidized to carboxylate ion
(2) this is a free radical substituion reaction. No oxidation and reduction whatsoever
(3) Reaction does not even take place
Thanks

Reaction score
Have there been many significant changes in the syllabus for 2016? Like are a lot of things removed from the syllabus or added?
Yes both...group 4 is removed..I think group 5 was also there before and is removed, a lotta of DNA part is removed, competitive and non competitive enzymes part removed
Carbon13 Nmr, organic synthesis, Nernst equation,Gibbs free and entropy amongst others are added

Reaction score
Yes both...group 4 is removed..I think group 5 was also there before and is removed, a lotta of DNA part is removed, competitive and non competitive enzymes part removed
Carbon13 Nmr, organic synthesis, Nernst equation,Gibbs free and entropy amongst others are added

Where to study these topics from? :/