• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I haven't even started P5
Can someone guide me on what I should do :(
what are the specific p5 topics that I must cover?
pls help :(
Guide me for physics & bio p5 too

qwertypoiu
You should attempt a few paper 5s and compare your answers with the mark schemes. Most of the questions are logical and only require basic chemistry concepts.
In question 1 you'll be asked a few questions then asked to devise an experiment. You just need to be careful t mention the independent, dependent, and control variables. You must make clear how you'll change the independent variable. You must specify all the apparatus to be used. You must explain how the control variables will be controlled. They'll guide you on these points. Then they'll ask you a few more questions like precautions. You just have to think logically.
In question 2, you'll be given data. You just have to draw graphs and analyse. Even simpler.

For physics it's mainly same. In question 2 there is uncertainties involved and you'll need to learn to draw "line of worst Fit". Again a few mark schemes and examiner reports will make it very clear what they want.

Bio is also same.

Reaction score
You should attempt a few paper 5s and compare your answers with the mark schemes. Most of the questions are logical and only require basic chemistry concepts.
In question 1 you'll be asked a few questions then asked to devise an experiment. You just need to be careful t mention the independent, dependent, and control variables. You must make clear how you'll change the independent variable. You must specify all the apparatus to be used. You must explain how the control variables will be controlled. They'll guide you on these points. Then they'll ask you a few more questions like precautions. You just have to think logically.
In question 2, you'll be given data. You just have to draw graphs and analyse. Even simpler.

For physics it's mainly same. In question 2 there is uncertainties involved and you'll need to learn to draw "line of worst Fit". Again a few mark schemes and examiner reports will make it very clear what they want.

Bio is also same.
Hats off man! ^_^

Reaction score
Hi guys can I ask if

CH3CHClCHClCH3 is the same as CH3CH(Cl)CH(Cl)CH3, cause the mark scheme specifies CH3CH(OH)CH(OH)CH3 for the -OH functional group

Reaction score
q40.jpg

So precipitate with aquous silver nitrate means that could be any of the halogens but what does solubility with aquous ammonia tell about?

Reaction score
View attachment 60111

So precipitate with aquous silver nitrate means that could be any of the halogens but what does solubility with aquous ammonia tell about?
The silver ions will form the following precipitates:
AgCl - white ppt
AgBr - creamy ppt
AgI - yellow ppt

These ppt will dissolve as follows:
If dilute ammonia is added to AgCl, it dissolves.
If concentrated ammonia is added to AgBr, it dissolves.
Even conc. NH3 is not able to dissolve AgI.

Therefore, in your question, since they said dilute ammonia cannot dissolve the ppt, we know that X cannot be a chloro-compound.

Reaction score
The silver ions will form the following precipitates:
AgCl - white ppt
AgBr - creamy ppt
AgI - yellow ppt

These ppt will dissolve as follows:
If dilute ammonia is added to AgCl, it dissolves.
If concentrated ammonia is added to AgBr, it dissolves.
Even conc. NH3 is not able to dissolve AgI.

Therefore, in your question, since they said dilute ammonia cannot dissolve the ppt, we know that X cannot be a chloro-compound.
thank u so much I get that...here is another
Question is :
Compound A is a liquid which does not react with 2,4-DNPH reagent or with aqueous bromine. Suggest two structural formula of A.
(We found the molecular formula in previous part which was C2H4O2) Here is what the markscheme says
p22,1d.jpg
It's (d)
I know ethanoic acid is formed but isn't HCO2CH3 just another way of writing CH3CO2H?

Reaction score
thank u so much I get that...here is another
Question is :
Compound A is a liquid which does not react with 2,4-DNPH reagent or with aqueous bromine. Suggest two structural formula of A.
(We found the molecular formula in previous part which was C2H4O2) Here is what the markscheme says
View attachment 60113
It's (d)
I know ethanoic acid is formed but isn't HCO2CH3 just another way of writing CH3CO2H?
No!
HCO2CH3 is in fact an ester!
The name is methylmethanoate.
It can be formed by esterification of methanoic acid (HCOOH) and methanol (CH2OH).
If we wanted to write ethanoic acid with the acid group on the left, we'd write:
HO2CCH3.

Because otherwise an R1-CO2-R2 is interpreted as an ester.

Reaction score
No!
HCO2CH3 is in fact an ester!
The name is methylmethanoate.
It can be formed by esterification of methanoic acid (HCOOH) and methanol (CH2OH).
If we wanted to write ethanoic acid with the acid group on the left, we'd write:
HO2CCH3.

Because otherwise an R1-CO2-R2 is interpreted as an ester.
wow, you just cleared my concept. thank you! Okay, just one more please :)
w11,3d.jpg

We have to draw the Hess's law here. In b(iii), we found enthalpy change of K2CO3, it was -32.6 kJ/mol and in c(iii), we found enthalpy change of KHCO3, it was +23.19 kJ/mol , can you please draw the Hess's cycle for me??

Reaction score
Solids W, X, Y and Z are compounds of two different Group II metals. Some of their applications are described below. Compound W is used as a refractory lining material in kilns. Compound X is used as a building material. It can also be heated in a kiln to form compound Y. When Y is hydrated, it forms compound Z which is used agriculturally to treat soils.
Which statements about these compounds are correct?

1 Adding W to water has less effect on pH than adding Y.
2 Adding Z to soil increases the pH of the soil.
3 The metallic element in Y reacts with cold water more quickly than the metallic element in W.

Answer A.
My Name? How please?

Reaction score
Solids W, X, Y and Z are compounds of two different Group II metals. Some of their applications are described below. Compound W is used as a refractory lining material in kilns. Compound X is used as a building material. It can also be heated in a kiln to form compound Y. When Y is hydrated, it forms compound Z which is used agriculturally to treat soils.
Which statements about these compounds are correct?

1 Adding W to water has less effect on pH than adding Y.
2 Adding Z to soil increases the pH of the soil.
3 The metallic element in Y reacts with cold water more quickly than the metallic element in W.

Answer A.
My Name? How please?
For this question, first you need to identify what those w, x, y and z compounds are.
By looking at their applications, you can figure out that w is MgO (since it has a high mp, there it used as a refractory material)
Compound x is CaCO3 (it is used in marbles etc)
When CaCO3, that is X is heated, it produces Y which is CaO like this:

CaCO3 ----> CaO + CO2

Adding Y, to water produces Ca(OH)2 which is alkaline solution.

Now you know what these mystery compounds are.
When W(MgO) is added to water, it does not cause much change of pH since it has very little solubility in water (solubility with water increases down the group), whereas Y which is CaO is soluble, thus causes an increase in pH. - Statement 1 correct.

Z is Ca(OH)2 is an alkali. So it will raise the pH of the soil. - Statement 2 is correct.

The metallic element in Y is Ca. I think you know that Ca reacts readily with cold water, while Mg does not react readily with cold water but it reacts with Steam. - Hence Statement 3 is also correct.

So the answer is A.

Reaction score
Can you please give the whole question? :p
Enthalpy changes of K2CO3 & KHCO3 you mentioned refer to enthalpy changes of formation or combustion for these compounds?
wow, you just cleared my concept. thank you! Okay, just one more please :)
View attachment 60114

We have to draw the Hess's law here. In b(iii), we found enthalpy change of K2CO3, it was -32.6 kJ/mol and in c(iii), we found enthalpy change of KHCO3, it was +23.19 kJ/mol , can you please draw the Hess's cycle for me??

Reaction score
For this question, first you need to identify what those w, x, y and z compounds are.
By looking at their applications, you can figure out that w is MgO (since it has a high mp, there it used as a refractory material)
Compound x is CaCO3 (it is used in marbles etc)
When CaCO3, that is X is heated, it produces Y which is CaO like this:

CaCO3 ----> CaO + CO2

Adding Y, to water produces Ca(OH)2 which is alkaline solution.

Now you know what these mystery compounds are.
When W(MgO) is added to water, it does not cause much change of pH since it has very little solubility in water (solubility with water increases down the group), whereas Y which is CaO is soluble, thus causes an increase in pH. - Statement 1 correct.

Z is Ca(OH)2 is an alkali. So it will raise the pH of the soil. - Statement 2 is correct.

The metallic element in Y is Ca. I think you know that Ca reacts readily with cold water, while Mg does not react readily with cold water but it reacts with Steam. - Hence Statement 3 is also correct.

So the answer is A.

W.O.W.
Thanks a lot :)