• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you are all well amidst the pandemic and uncertainties ahead.

In summary, please subscribe and share.

YouTube: ptet.chemistry

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmBBpiJ1E7OThp22nRhCptg

Contents: tutorial videos on O- and A-Level chemistry

Format: categorised playlist; use chapter markers to skip to question(s) of interest

Style: I outline my thought process on how to address questions, highlight common mistakes.

Audience: students + teachers (anywhere and everywhere)

Subscribers: even those who have left chemistry ages ago in school, if you think these videos will benefit other people you know (friends, families, students). It helps Google/YouTube to index the channel better.

Cost: absolutely free on YouTube!

Reaction score
Reaction score
X, Y and Z are three elements in the third period.
● X reacts with chlorine to give a liquid product.
● Y reacts with chlorine to give a solid product that dissolves in water to give a
solution of pH 7.
● Z reacts with chlorine to give a solid product that dissolves in water to give a solution
of pH 6.
Which elements are good conductors of electricity?

Reaction score
A solution contains both Mg2+(aq) and Sr2+(aq) at the same concentration.
The solution is divided into two equal portions. Aqueous sodium hydroxide is added dropwise to
one portion. Dilute sulfuric acid is added dropwise to the other portion.
Which row is correct?

Reaction score
X, Y and Z are three elements in the third period.
● X reacts with chlorine to give a liquid product.
● Y reacts with chlorine to give a solid product that dissolves in water to give a
solution of pH 7.
● Z reacts with chlorine to give a solid product that dissolves in water to give a solution
of pH 6.
Which elements are good conductors of electricity?
X is definitely Si which reacts with chlorine to give SiCl4, a colourless liquid at r.t.p.

Y is Na which reacts with chlorine to give NaCl that dissolves in water to give a solution of pH 7.

Z is Mg which reacts with chlorine to give MgCl2 that dissolves in water to give a slightly acidic solution with pH 6.

Finally, only Na and Mg are the good electrical conductors among these elements.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A solution contains both Mg2+(aq) and Sr2+(aq) at the same concentration.
The solution is divided into two equal portions. Aqueous sodium hydroxide is added dropwise to
one portion. Dilute sulfuric acid is added dropwise to the other portion.
Which row is correct?
I think you didn't post the complete question. Do upload a SS from the question paper and I'll try to solve it 😁

Reaction score
Compound X produces a carboxylic acid when heated under reflux with acidified
potassium dichromate(VI). Compound X does not react with sodium metal.
What could be the identity of compound X?
A propanal
B propanone
C propan-1-ol
D propan-2-ol

answer is propanal but why?

Reaction score
Compound X produces a carboxylic acid when heated under reflux with acidified
potassium dichromate(VI). Compound X does not react with sodium metal.
What could be the identity of compound X?
A propanal
B propanone
C propan-1-ol
D propan-2-ol

answer is propanal but why?
I mostly use the process of elimination to reach the correct answer for these type of questions.
Firstly, propanone won't oxidise to a carboxylic acid because it is a ketone, so we can eliminate B right from the start.
Now you must know that metals like Na, Mg react very well with alcohols (primary or secondary) to give bubbles of H2 gas and alkoxide anion + metal cation. Therefore, we can eliminate C and D too. Since we're left with A, it must be the correct answer.

Reaction score
Hello guys, if you always find chemistry P1 MCQs tricky, perhaps my step-by-step tutorial videos can help. If you like what my channel offers, please subscribe and share with friends/colleagues/relatives. It is a not-for-profit channel and I am simply a full time chemistry teacher wanting to reach out to help as many as possible.

Reaction score
If Kc increases at higher temperature, the forward reaction must have absorbed more heat energy to shift to the right. That means forward reaction is favoured. I would go for A.

IF D is correct, that would potentially mean how Kc remains constant, but that would also mean temperature cannot be changing, so I won't really think it is D.