• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

for question 14) the answer is sodium cholride because there is one thing which you must look for to distinguish,chloride ion reacts with an excess of dil NH3,bromine ion reatcs with conc NH3 and Iodine ion doesn't react,so as the question has said the compound X reacts with dil NH3 which means the answer is sodium chloride !!!
for question 22) you can see check one by one,both the alcohols react the same way with KMnO4,both the alcohols react the same with Phosphorous Penatcholride and both react the same way with sodium but in the case of sulphuric acid,the longer alcohol chain may get oxidized where as the shorter chain won't get oxidized !!
for question 30) draw the displayed formulae and see that you can find both chiral center and cis-trans isomerism in D,you may find chiral center in B also but there is not cis-trans isomerism!!
for question 35) its obvious that in car engine carbon won't be form so that it will react in that way instead CO would be formed so the answer is nitrogen and sulphur !!

Reaction score
The ans in C.How come the denominator is (0.07*0.02) ? Please explain..:)
View attachment 7373

as 1 mole of iodine and 1 mole of hydrogen forms two mole of mole of hydrogen Iodide.So at equilbrium when 0.26 mole of hydrogen iodide is formed which means 0.13 mole of iodine and 0.13 mole of hydrogen was used up so at equilbrium you got (0.15-0.13) mole of hydrogen and (0.15-0.13) mole of iodine left !!

Reaction score
If you read the question carefully enough, it states there's a cyclohexene ring and not a cyclohexane ring that the compound contains.
I guess there's no easier way to do this than to draw a quick small structure structure and count the number of hydrogen we're getting. :|
Alright... Then there are 13 C and 18 H left. (26-18)/2 = 4, so 4 double bonds in the aliphatic chain. Plus the one in cyclohexene there are 5.

Reaction score
Can someone please give explanations to these paper 1 questions?

Q3 What does 'ground state' mean? And r we supposed to write the '1s2 2s2....' electronic configuration to know the answer?
Q21 Does an alcohol get oxidised by hot, concentrated manganate(7) ions?
Q31 Why is the answer B not A? all the three statements seem correct.
and Q38 Why cant the answer be B?

ground state means when the electron are at the lowest level,yeah you are supposed to right it so that it may be easy for you to answer it

hey it surely would get becuase KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent which means alcohol can get oxidized

for question 31) you can see that there is the presence of most electronegative element of periodic table, N and O so which means permanent dipole can't form because both the element would try to attract the bonded electron towards itself !!

and for question 38) in fire extinguisher Br* free radical is generated to stop the combustion which means the answer must be option 1 and option 2 but i am not sure about why the answer is only option 1 but do note that in fire extinguisher Br * radical is generated !!

Reaction score
reply urgent for 2nd prt.....i guess there is insufficient info .......cos how will i know the mass of co2 lost

Attachments

• ksp.PNG
    ksp.PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
well this is a definition of lattice energy the energy change when 1 mole of (ionic)
solid/crystals is formed from its gaseous ions.
er mentions candidates lost mark for not specifying that a solid was formed......is it necessaryy......cant l.e be used for ionic liquids

Reaction score
hey can anyone provide me the notes of transition metals ? and worksheet of enthalpy changes(As) ??

Reaction score
can someone explain or give me notes on chemical bonding and structure as well as enthaply cycles and calculations please :)

Reaction score
ur damn right...
that is a teaser...
i think ill probably end up blind guessing ths ques...the time wont suffice