• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
Which element is likely to have an electronegativity similar to that of aluminium?
A barium
B beryllium
C magnesium
D strontium
why is it B....how?

I remember my Chemistry teacher told me that right adjacent elements share much of the same properties, so only beryllium is on right side of aluminium

Reaction score
someone please help in the following questions
june 2007, p1 . Q 34, 36, 37
nov 2007, p1, q35
june / 07-
Q 37 coz
1. energy is hs to b takn in to brk da bond, thrf endothermic
2. activation energy is high cz stng bnds btween N2..
3 N2 had tripl bonds. so bond energy is high!!!
ANS: A

Reaction score
A monomer undergoes addition polymerisation. A 1 mol sample of the monomer is completely
polymerised.
How many moles of polymer might, theoretically, be formed?
2 .10–6
3.6.02 1023(avogadro's constant)

Reaction score
A monomer undergoes addition polymerisation. A 1 mol sample of the monomer is completely
polymerised.
How many moles of polymer might, theoretically, be formed?
2 .10–6
3.6.02 1023(avogadro's constant)
If 1 mole of a monomer is polymerized and you obtained the same number of moles of a polymer, then technically... you got the same thing right? So 1 can't be a polymer. 2 and 3 are just random numbers given but they can be polymers because they're not the same # of moles as the monomer.

So C is right.

Reaction score
Can someone please explain these paper 1 questions?
Thanks.....

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w11_qp_11.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w11_ms_11.pdf
Q8 Why cant the answer be C?
Q16?
Q27 Why is the ratio 3:1?
Q36?

And why isnt the examiner report for this paper available here?

8) because acids give away H+ ions not gain them. look at the backward reaction in equation 2.

27) ultraviolet light means a free radical reaction takes place and this involves HOMOLYTIC fission. Then there are 6 places from where Cl can attack the H to form 1-chloro-propane but only 2 places for attack to form 2-chloro-propane. Thus the 3:1 ratio.

Hope this helps. Good Luck. :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
please tell me how to do this question..i dont knw how many times i"ve posted it! but no one has answered it yet :(
its Q 22 of jun11/11 if you need to refer to the paper. answer is A. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

Attachments

• chem.png
    chem.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
y dos the bond length increase btween hydrogen chloride,hydrogen bromide and hydrogen iodide?