• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
untitled-png.23607

Reaction score

Well since it's a ketone .. it needs to be a secondary alcohol and for it to be secondary alcohol there needs to be atleast 3 C atoms... And if you drew the isomers in 5b correct you will have.. HCO2OC3H7

the last part is from the alcohol .. so there are 3 C in this alcohol

The formulae for secondary alcohol would be...
2EaqJ.png

(CH3)2CH(OH) Answer

Reaction score
i haven't get help in this question please help

I have copy pasted this answer from another thread.. it was given by xHazeMx

the metal could be from group 1,2,3 or 4, having either oxidation number +1 or +2 or +3 or +4. so if u look to the values given
v= 0.05 dm^3
c= 0.10 mol dm^-3

then, n= c x v , 0.10 x 0.05 = 0.005 moles
also,
v= 0.025 dm^3
c= 0.10 mol dm^-3

then, n= c x v , 0.025 x 0.10 = 0.0025 moles

so to know whether this metal is from group 1 or 2
divide the number of moles u got

0.005/0.0025 = 2 .... This shows that the metal is from group 2. Hence, oxidation number is +2 :)
(correct me if i m wrong)

Reaction score
Reaction score
the answer can be CH3CH2CH2CH2COCH2OH. as they v told to add an OH bond it is added . remaining C valency is satisfied by keeping in mind tht the product would contain double the amount of C,H,and O.so a ketonic group is added also.

I still don't get it. What reaction is it going through? reduction? how would one assume that which equation would be made like why is it ketone+alcohol?

Reaction score
I still don't get it. What reaction is it going through? reduction? how would one assume that which equation would be made like why is it ketone+alcohol?
they v said in the qs tht no other product is formed and two moles of the original compound should form one single new compound. now it is up to us to add such groups in the compond formed tht C,H and O no should be equal to double of C,H and O in original compound . and it is compulsory to add an OH group , they v mentioned it .