• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
1. CH2=CHCH2OH + KMNO4 dilute cold = HOCH2CH(OH)CH2OH? or does the original OH group get oxidised
2. HOOCCOOH + Kmno4 hot = CH3COOH?
3. HCOOH + Kmno4 hot = co2 and h2o so no organic products?

Reaction score
i just found a qs from n08 2a) in the table column of Q we have written 0 as 0.00 so shouldnt we write 720.00, but its written 720

Reaction score
1. CH2=CHCH2OH + KMNO4 dilute cold = HOCH2CH(OH)CH2OH? or does the original OH group get oxidised
2. HOOCCOOH + Kmno4 hot = CH3COOH?
3. HCOOH + Kmno4 hot = co2 and h2o so no organic products?
Look at this diagram for the hot KMnO4 sol. But i don't know about your first question... it should give a di-ol but i don't know if the original OH gp would be oxidised. Wait, i don't think it'll get oxixdised cuz its cold KMnO4 solution..don't you think?DSC05179.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks.. I didnt think it would get oxidised as well. ( the original OH group)
so basically organic product for CH2=CHCH2OH + hot KMnO4 = no organic product?
since first it becomes HCOOH + HOOCCOOH. HOOCCOOH gets oxidised to HCOOH as well. and HCOOH all get oxised to CO2 + H2O

Reaction score
since first it becomes HCOOH + HOOCCOOH. HOOCCOOH gets oxidised to HCOOH as well. and HCOOH all get oxised to CO2 + H2O
hmm.. good question.. i really don't know... u in AS?

Reaction score
Go to the P1 and P2 Chem thread... they might answer it for you if you're in AS

Reaction score
hey in qs 1 where there is no asking of the apparatus by the examiners and the y tell us to write on a 7 mark question should we include the drawing of the apparatus as well or we should just write the 7 marks of material

Reaction score
hey in qs 1 where there is no asking of the apparatus by the examiners and the y tell us to write on a 7 mark question should we include the drawing of the apparatus as well or we should just write the 7 marks of material
My teachers always told me that if you're good with writing the plan down, then write it. and count your points, if you think you wrote enough thats good but don't draw the apparatus if not required because your answer might be right, but any mistake in the apparatus you drew will send your marks down the drain.
but if you're sure of your drawing and you're sure that it explains everything, just add brief notes here and there and you're all good. But i wouldn't draw if i'm not sure of what they are asking me.

Reaction score
i
i think its better to give a simple diagram as well as mention them in words.. we never know what the examiners want!;)

Reaction score
hey guys can anybody tell me qs 2e the reasoning for pt 3 to be anomalous point. i know the reasoning for pt 8

Reaction score
Why is the power maximum when the load resistance is equal to the internal resistance? thank you :)

Reaction score
can anybody explain how to calculate 2f of j08 and 2e of j07. im confused as to how to calculate x from the data given. can somebdy tell me the whole procedure that we will use. I only drew one construction line in a middle of the graph

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb,
- Can someone please help me for qn 2, how do we know that the examiner wants the values of part 'bi' to 2 significnt figures, and for part 'bii', to 2 decimal places?
- Secondly, why is the ms stating that the ratio calculated in 'b ii' must be I:Zn and not the inverse, i mean i did it as Zn:I, but the ms clearly states not to do that:/
- And for part 'e' of the same qn, the reasons for the anomalies in the ms don't quite agree with my understanding, can someone please elaborate?

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_51.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_ms_51.pdf

MaxStudentALevel xhizors and @ all other p5 candidates
Thanx a lot :)