• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
ian not saying that br2 is wrong what iam asking is that is diazotizationn coupling correct or not?

Of course it's correct now that the mark scheme has mentioned it. But why bother? When you can perform a simple test which you have learnt in O level, why go into these complicated tests!

Reaction score
Silent Hunter

alright here is the solution...

first of all we write the equation to check the molar ratio and its CH3COOH + NaOH ---> CH3COONA + H20

now lets calculate the number of moles of the acid and base before the reaction
n of ethanoic acid = 0.25x(10/1000) = 0.0025 mol
n of NaOH = 0.1x(10/1000) = 0.001 mol

now when we mixed them together the total volume of the solution will be 20cm^3 so u can see that ethanoic acid is in excess and the ratio of acid:base:salt is all 1:1:1 so 0.001 mol of salt will be produced and that has a concentration of 0.001/0.02 = 0.05mol/dm^3 and the acid left unreacted in the solution will be 0.0025-0.001 = 0.0015 mol so the concentration of the acid will be 0.0015/0.02 = 0.075

use the equation PH = 4.76 + log(0.05/0.075)
PH = 4.58

thats it..hope u got it!!

Reaction score
doing the application chapters from the application booklet and chemistry coursebook (roger norris) is enough ryt ?o_O

Reaction score
doing the application chapters from the application booklet and chemistry coursebook (roger norris) is enough ryt ?o_O
i heard loads of negative feedback about the application booklet..so u better not waste ur time on it !

Reaction score
i heard loads of negative feedback about the application booklet..so u better not waste ur time on it !
[^__^].. yeah i know, our chem sir did correct some mistakes in it... wel i have learned the concepts, so now i think it would be wise to do the pastpapers?.. cuz i did my core with the pastpapers em just left with the applications :/

Reaction score
[^__^].. yeah i know, our chem sir did correct some mistakes in it... wel i have learned the concepts, so now i think it would be wise to do the pastpapers?.. cuz i did my core with the pastpapers em just left with the applications :/
Chem Guide...use this website. the application booklet has messed up concepts...

Reaction score
Nov 11 Paper 43 Q3(e) iv.... why is the concentration of CH3COOH 0.075 and not 0.025 and how do we get 0.05 for CH3COONa... The marks scheme is not clear and I cant find the examiner report. Please help

Reaction score
Effect of conc of the ions

Effect of concentration is only for Chloride ions, Bromide ions, iodide ions and Hydroxide ions. In a concentrated solution of these ions, no matter what the reactivity of the other anion is, the anion (the ones i mentioned) will be preferentially discharged.

I hope this clarifies your confusion.

Reaction score
Assalamu 'Alaykum.
Can somebody please post the link to the winter 2011 examners' report?
Jazakum Allahu Khair.