• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
For 11, n has to be the number of bonds in the compound. For example, the bond energy of a C-H bond is found by divided the enthalpy of formation of CH4 by 4, because there are 4 C-H bonds in CH4.
WHAT about D? if the compound was NH3 for example so the n number is 3 so you divided the bond energy by 3 and the answer will be correct right?

Reaction score
When you write the equation for the decomposition of a Group II metal nitrate, you see that the mole ratio of the metal nitrate to the metal oxide is 1:1. So n(nitrate)=n(oxide). You have the mass of the nitrate and you can find the mass of the oxide (mass of nitrate minus mass of gases). You can calculate the molecular mass of Group II metal nitrate and oxide knowing the general formulae: M(NO3)2 and MO. M can be x. Cross multiply.

Jazak Allah Khayr again.

Question 7 and 30: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w10_qp_12.pdf

Reaction score
Somebody please reply fast.. i have 2 hours left. Im done with all the papers back till 2002. Ive gone through my notes once. what should i do right now?? chemguide or the book (coursebook by David Acaster) plz note that I have 2 hours only and went through each looong way back :p
which variant r u giving?

Reaction score
Hubbabubba looks like you have done w11 paper12. How did you do question number 4? :/

Sorry for the late reply, I had to revise a topic in chemistry. BTW I did Summer 2011 not Winter but I'll help you

q4 - It says there's 96kg of Hydrogen leftover, so 120-96 = 24kg of H2 was used in the reaction.

no. of moles of H2 = 24kg/2 = 12 moles.
N2 + 3H2 ---> 2NH3.

Ratio of Hydrogen to Ammonia is 3: 2
that means number of moles of ammonia produced is 8 moles.
Then you calculate the mass of ammonia which is moles * Molar Mass (8 * 17) = 136kg. Answer is C

Reaction score
21 An alkene has the formula CH3CH=CRCH2CH3 and does not possess cis-trans isomers. What is R?
A) H
B) Cl
C) CH3
D) C2H5

Why can't it be B? Why is the answer D?