• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please help me answer a silly question? >.<
tresting for unsaturation for organic compounds (alkene) using BROMINE WATER OR BROMINE IN TETRACHLOROMETHANE/CYCLOHEXANE?
and what colour is bromine in water/organic solvent?
and also if anyone knows, what colours are halogens Cl2, Br2 and I2 in water and organic solvent.
it would be VERY much appreciated thanks! >.<

Reaction score
hey me to have problem in the same thin its so confusin well I N33D URGENT HELP HERE!!!!!!
how to calculate the enthalpy change of reaction for the following
equation: 2NaHCO3 -----> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O
a) delta standard enthalpy change of formation [NaHCO3] = -950.8 KJ/mol
b) " " " " " " " " [Na2CO3] = -1130.7 KJ/mol
c) " " " " " " [CO2] = -393.5 KJ/mol
d) " " " " " " [H2O] = -285.8 KJ/mol

how to do it need complete explanation hope any 1 of ya can help me......... :(
1455128_760171840676626_1444956509_n.jpg

NOTE:!!! i labelled wrongly!! delta f should be delta H.......
eq above is constructed and balanced.
enthalpy of formation of NaHCO3 is multiplied by 2 cuz 2mol is used according to equation.
hess's law stated that the enthalpy for a chemical reaction is independent of route taken provided initial and final conditions are same.
delta H = route from 2NaHCO3-----> 2Na + H2 +2C + 3O2------> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O (follow the arrows)
for the arrow pointing in the opposite direction from the route u are taking, change from + to - value OR from - to + value.

I hope this helps >.<

Reaction score
Hey guys, I always have problems in calculating the enthalpy change of reaction, combustion and formation ... I mean I mix up... I don't get which value to subtract and which to add... is there any easy way to learn it? I read the book and its quite confusing like for formation we have to consider the elemnts and the products. .. plz help me if u have any easier method of learning this. .

Tis' easy.

CRAP. Remember the word.
C = r-p
F, the other way round.

Easy enough?

Reaction score
asalam alaykum ,
guys please give me tips on how to learn the reactions in organic chemistry , i dont seem to remember any x_x

Reaction score
View attachment 32664

NOTE:!!! i labelled wrongly!! delta f should be delta H.......
eq above is constructed and balanced.
enthalpy of formation of NaHCO3 is multiplied by 2 cuz 2mol is used according to equation.
hess's law stated that the enthalpy for a chemical reaction is independent of route taken provided initial and final conditions are same.
delta H = route from 2NaHCO3-----> 2Na + H2 +2C + 3O2------> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O (follow the arrows)
for the arrow pointing in the opposite direction from the route u are taking, change from + to - value OR from - to + value.

I hope this helps >.<
thanks alot buddy u r a life saver(y):)

Reaction score
this is the 2nd time im posting pls help! >.<

tresting for unsaturation for organic compounds (alkene) using BROMINE WATER OR BROMINE IN TETRACHLOROMETHANE/CYCLOHEXANE?
and also if anyone knows, what colours are halogens Cl2, Br2 and I2 in water and organic solvent.

Reaction score
p42 MJ 11
Question 4(c) (v) can someone help?
Why is it molecular formula and cannot be empirical formula?
I thought if you have same molecular formula you literally should have the same empirical formula? correct me if im wrong:confused:

KZW

Reaction score
this is the 2nd time im posting pls help! >.<

The test for unsaturated compounds is with bromine water.
Cl2(aq) is yellow, Br2(aq) is reddish brown, and I2(aq) is purple. I'm not too sure about dissolving them in organic solvent, but i suspect they will be the same colour.

p42 MJ 11
Question 4(c) (v) can someone help?
Why is it molecular formula and cannot be empirical formula?
I thought if you have same molecular formula you literally should have the same empirical formula? correct me if im wrong:confused:

I couldn't find your question, I think you typed it wrong. P42 MJ11 question 4c is on stereoisomerism, and there is no (v).

Molecular formula is not necessarily the same as empirical. Molecular is the exact number of each atom in a molecule, while empirical formula is the simplified ratio of the atoms in a molecule.

For example, C6H12O4
The molecular formula is C6H12O4. The empirical formula is C3H6O2 - The ratio of atoms is the same, but it has just been simplified.

Hope it helps, good luck :)

Reaction score
Cl2(aq) is yellow, Br2(aq) is reddish brown, and I2(aq) is purple. I'm not too sure about dissolving them in organic solvent, but i suspect they will be the same colour.
K thx! >_<

I couldn't find your question, I think you typed it wrong. P42 MJ11 question 4c is on stereoisomerism, and there is no (v).

Molecular formula is not necessarily the same as empirical. Molecular is the exact number of each atom in a molecule, while empirical formula is the simplified ratio of the atoms in a molecule.

For example, C6H12O4
The molecular formula is C6H12O4. The empirical formula is C3H6O2 - The ratio of atoms is the same, but it has just been simplified.

Thanks! >_<

For example, C6H12O4

Reaction score

For example, C6H12O4

Yea i did type it wrong -_- its Q4 (b) (v) What is the relationship between the repeat unit of polymer D and the repeat unit of PVA.

KZW

Reaction score

In the question, they give you the initial number of moles of each substance present in the equilibrium. All of them should change by the same amount since the ratios are all 1:1, so lets say the change in the number of moles is x.

Therefore, the equilibrium concentrations are
(0.70–x) for CO2 and H2, and (0.30+x) for CO and H2O.

You know Kc is 1.44, and Kc = [products]/[reactants] yes? So pop those values in, and solve as a quadratic.
1.44= (0.30+x)^2 /(0.70-x)^2 etc, and solve for x.

It should give you x= 0.25, and so you substitute it back into the (0.70-x) for CO2 and H2, and (0.30+x) for CO and H2O.

i) The 30cm^3 is the excess oxygen that wasn't reacted with A.
ii) CO2 is the only other gas that is produced, so it should be quite obvious.
iii) Total volume of gas left after combustion = 40cm^3. If 30cm^3 is oxygen, then 10cm^3 should be CO2.
iv) Original volume of oxygen=50cm^3, and there is 30cm^3 of oxygen left. Therefore volume of oxygen reacted is 20cm^3 :)

Yea i did type it wrong -_- its Q4 (b) (v) What is the relationship between the repeat unit of polymer D and the repeat unit of PVA.

Basically they are referring to the number of each element in the monomers. They both have the same amount of each element, so you could say they're isomers, or they have the same molecular formula.

KZW

Reaction score

In the question, they give you the initial number of moles of each substance present in the equilibrium. All of them should change by the same amount since the ratios are all 1:1, so lets say the change in the number of moles is x.

You know Kc is 1.44, and Kc = [products]/[reactants] yes? So pop those values in, and solve as a quadratic.

It should give you x= 0.25, and so you substitute it back into the (0.70-x) for CO2 and H2, and (0.30+x) for CO and H2O.

iii) Total volume of gas left after combustion = 40cm^3. If 30cm^3 is oxygen, then 10cm^3 should be CO2.
iv) Original volume of oxygen=50cm^3, and there is 30cm^3 of oxygen left. Therefore volume of oxygen reacted is 20cm^3 :)

Basically they are referring to the number of each element in the monomers. They both have the same amount of each element, so you could say they're isomers, or they have the same molecular formula.

Reaction score

Ok. but what i dont get is why they are not the same empirical formula? Because if 2 compounds have the same molecular fomula, doesnt that mean they have the same empirical formula as well >< confused.

Reaction score
Chemistry help !, I couldn't find information related to that dicarboxylic acid reacts with little c.H2SO4 to give a cyclic compound, in neither AS level nor A2 Level. It is such a totally weird question.

Question 5 (d) (i)

Could you guys plz help me?

Attachments

• 9701_w11_qp_23.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 8

Reaction score

thanks KZW but ur not suposed to do quadratic its given in the sylabus! but i found out that u have to cancel the the power by adding a square root on both side :)
but anyway thanks for ur help!!!!

Reaction score

thanks KZW but ur not suposed to do quadratic its given in the sylabus! but i found out that u have to cancel the the power by adding a square root on both side :)
but anyway thanks for ur help!!!!

Reaction score
Chemistry help !, I couldn't find information related to that dicarboxylic acid reacts with little c.H2SO4 to give a cyclic compound, in neither AS level nor A2 Level. It is such a totally weird question.

Question 5 (d) (i)

Could you guys plz help me?

lets see look buddy there are two possible reactions to this
1.conc sulfuric acid will form an alkene but the number of C atoms will remain the same
2. conc sulfuric acid is also used for esterification esterification will increase the number of C atoms wont they.
well the examiner says there is a cyclic compound meaning there will be minimum of 6 C atoms
he didnt provide us with an acid or alcohol ?? well he doesnt had to as X is both alcohol and acid