• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The answer is C .
1 is not one of the answers as CO does not react with O2 in atmosphere,all of these reactions which convert CO to CO2 occur in some heated environment like on a catalytic converter so 1 is not the answer.
The other Nitrogen and Sulfur both oxidize in air. Nitrogen easily goes from NO +1/2O2 ---> NO2 while SO2 you may think doesnt form SO3 without the conditions that are present in Contact process but in reality this happens. NO2 + SO2 ---> SO3 + NO . Now this NO again converts back to NO2 by NO +1/2O2 ---> NO2 . You might say that SO2 is not reacting with O2 but it is with NO2 but NO2 is a catalyst here and so in reality u can say it reacts with the O2 provided by NO2 . Theres another way u cud answer this without even caring abt whether option 3 is correct is by finding that 1 is wrong so 2 and 3 is the answer which corresponds to C.

For this question again you need to prove option 1 wrong and then you have your answer. You have 1 mole of a monomer which has 6.02*10^23 particles now lets assume we polymerise these monomers and form a polymer will the polymer also be 1 mole meaning will it also have those 6.02*10^23 particles. the answer quite clearly is no because polymer is large and if u start with 1 mole of monomer you will never form 1 mole of polymers but a fraction of this. In reality you will form 1/(6.02*10^23) moles of polymer. this is option 3 and so it is correct. Once again dont wait to find if option 2 is correct since you know that 1 is wrong tick C because there is not anyway to have 3 in answer without having option 1 .

Please feel free to ask any problem regarding these explanations .:)
thanx a lot

Reaction score
dunno if im interupting ny1s Question....first tym
Oct/Nov 2011 ppr 5, question #2 the graph part
im stuck at the labelling axes n plotting part of the question,as in which combination to take on both x n y axis....some1 pls help :/

Reaction score
dunno if im interupting ny1s Question....first tym
Oct/Nov 2011 ppr 5, question #2 the graph part
im stuck at the labelling axes n plotting part of the question,as in which combination to take on both x n y axis....some1 pls help :/
link? :)

Reaction score
http://www.sheir.org/a-level-chemistry-51-nov2011.pdf
yeah so heres the link....Q2b,the graph part,
editing to my prev question would say that log(rate of reaction) is taken n the values r neg ....waot abt the reciprocal of AT,should i take log of that as well,
see if u can help :)
no no u just have to take log for the rate of reaction!
1) first find the rate of reaction for each experiment.... [one of ur coloumns' heading is "rate of reaction (1/time) s^-1"
2) then find the log(rate of reaction) ... this will be the heading of ur next coloumn.
3) and the third coloumn will be name "1/absolute temperature K^-1 "
Then plot the 2nd and 3rd coloumns on the graph .....
Temperatuere is ur independant variable so plot 1/absolute temperature on the x axis and the log(rate of reaction) on the y axis .... which means ur graph will be of the 4th quadrant as shown in the attatchment....
P.S. log DOES NOT have units

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
no no u just have to take log for the rate of reaction!
1) first find the rate of reaction for each experiment.... [one of ur coloumns' heading is "rate of reaction (1/time) s^-1"
2) then find the log(rate of reaction) ... this will be the heading of ur next coloumn.
3) and the third coloumn will be name "1/absolute temperature K^-1 "
Then plot the 2nd and 3rd coloumns on the graph .....
Temperatuere is ur independant variable so plot 1/absolute temperature on the x axis and the log(rate of reaction) on the y axis .... which means ur graph will be of the 4th quadrant as shown in the attatchment....
P.S. log DOES NOT have units
thanx 4 the quick response dear....i'll plot n see if i got further doubts :)

Reaction score
okay sure. np :)
well,im kinda gettin the intercept at x....m i doin it right,n then im completely messing up wid finding the slope....(i know,not so hard of a question,been long since i last attempted a graph question,kinda forgetting :p)...pls see through :)

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to solve this question?
View attachment 33872
for reaction 1:
Kc = [X2Y]^2 / ( [X2]^2 . [Y2] )

for reaction 2:
Kc = ( [X2] . [Y2]^1/2 ) / [X2Y]

If you look closely u will see that Kc for 2 is reciprocal of underroot of Kc for 1.
The numerator for Kc 1 is the denominator for Kc2 and vice versa.
then power on every substance of Kc1 is twice the power of every substance of Kc 2
so A is the answer as Kc of 2 is the reciprocal of square root of Kc 1.

Tell me if u dont get it :)

Reaction score
Bond length of Cl2 is ( 242 ) as stated in data booklet ..
but in marking schemes they CONTINUOUSLY use ( 244 ) !
it happened in more than one year .

Reaction score
Most modern cars are fitted with airbags. These work by decomposing sodium azide to liberate
nitrogen gas, which inflates the bag.
2NaN3  3N2 + 2Na
A typical driver’s airbag contains 50 g of sodium azide.
Calculate the volume of nitrogen this will produce at room temperature.

A 9.2 dm3 B 13.9 dm3 C 27.7 dm3 D 72.0 dm3