• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
When 3.00 g of an anhydrous nitrate of a Group II metal is decomposed, 1.53 g of gas is
produced.

What is the nitrate compound?
A beryllium nitrate
B calcium nitrate
C magnesium nitrate
D strontium nitrate

Reaction score
When 3.00 g of an anhydrous nitrate of a Group II metal is decomposed, 1.53 g of gas is
produced.

A beryllium nitrate
B calcium nitrate
C magnesium nitrate
D strontium nitrate

Reaction score
produced.

A beryllium nitrate
B calcium nitrate
C magnesium nitrate
D strontium nitrate

Reaction score
produced.

A beryllium nitrate
B calcium nitrate
C magnesium nitrate
D strontium nitrate

Reaction score
produced.

A beryllium nitrate
B calcium nitrate
C magnesium nitrate
D strontium nitrate

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could upload any answered & corrected practical paper? I have no idea what format we're supposed to give our answers in, my teacher isn't particularly helpful. What I'm mainly after is the "appropriate form" of recording tests & their observations. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reaction score

It's simple. The Elimination reaction (Forming of Alkene from Alcohol with the elimination of a an OH and H). That requires OH to be removed from one C and a H to be removed from the neighboring carbon.

the neighboring carbon doesn't have any H attached so there will be no elimination in the case of (CH3)3CCH2OH

Reaction score

The definition of a base is being a proton acceptor. and HSO3- accepts a H+ to form H2SO4.

Look at the other options.. B No.. since SO2 gets oxidized itself it acts as a reducing agent.
C.. it can't be acting as a acid if it is reacting with H+! Acid is an proton donor.
Now D is the confusing choice. see the SO3^2- backwards reaction.. it oxidizes H+ to H2O.. so it acts as a oxidizing agent.

Remember this
Oxidation is Loss of Electrons / Gain of Oxygen / Loss of Hydrogen
Reduction is Gain Of Electrons / Gain of Hydrogen / Loss of Oxygen

An Oxidizing agent itself gets reduced.
An Reducing agent itself gets oxidized.