• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Heyy, Can you help me explaining induced-dipole/dipole-dipole bonds???? Cannot understand them!!! Freaking Out here
Well basically from what I understand is that the are between polar compounds. Take for example NH3, the N is delta negative (highly electronegative in this case) and H is delta positive (less electronegative). There's 3H and 1N, 3 against 1 so no cancel out, hence there's a dipole. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Reaction score
how do we know they are going to arrange themselves 180 degree apart?
When there's two electron pairs and both are used for bonding and hence zero lone pair. So you get a linear shape of angle 180. Futhermore, there's no lone pair to cause distortion. Hope that helps! :)

Reaction score
When there's two electron pairs and both are used for bonding and hence zero lone pair. So you get a linear shape of angle 180. Futhermore, there's no lone pair to cause distortion. Hope that helps! :)
when we draw the structure of I3- we get 3 lone pairs not zero

huh

Reaction score
Hey guys, which is the most trickiest and hardest MCQ PAPER 1 past papers have you found? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
21 Tetramethyl-lead(IV), (CH3)4Pb, increases the rate of the reaction of methane with chlorine.
CH4(g) + Cl2(g) → CH3Cl(g) + HCl(g)
Why can tetramethyl-lead(IV) behave in this way?
A It is a source of methyl radicals.
B It releases CH3+ .
C It reacts with chloromethane and prevents equilibrium being established.
D Metal ions catalyse the reaction.

Ans : A

_9701_s07_qp_1
Question 20

Explain pls :(