• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry prac p34

Reaction score
Hey guys pls tell me how to tell if a gas is released during ion analysis... Some you can obviously smell and some you can see... But ones like oxygen carbon dioxide and hydrogen.

Any other tips for the prac would be appreciated
Even if its not regarding ion analysis

And anyone have any idea guess what may come in this p34 chem prac on tuesday (october/november) session?

Thanks

Reaction score
you can go through the gas test given at quantitative analysis note which will be provided in exam and we should mainly focus on calculating concentration of unknown solution through titration and other question will be ion test

Reaction score
Yep me know about that... Will they ever give us limewater and a splint, or will they only give one so its kinda obvious which gas will be produced?... And could anyone provide a link showing how to do titration calculations, i know most of them just want to make sure :)

Reaction score
I think its useful to practice all the calculations you did for your practicals again. Get a hang of no of moles and concentration.

Hey guys pls tell me how to tell if a gas is released during ion analysis... Some you can obviously smell and some you can see... But ones like oxygen carbon dioxide and hydrogen.

Any other tips for the prac would be appreciated
Even if its not regarding ion analysis

And anyone have any idea guess what may come in this p34 chem prac on tuesday (october/november) session?

Thanks

Most of the time, there would be effervescence means there's gas. Test with litmus paper. Blue turning red means CO2 or SO2 (acidic gases). Red to blue would be ammonia. The glowing splint part is the biggest headache for me. It often fails me even when it is suppose to reignite :(

Reaction score
Yep me know about that... Will they ever give us limewater and a splint, or will they only give one so its kinda obvious which gas will be produced?... And could anyone provide a link showing how to do titration calculations, i know most of them just want to make sure :)
There are only a handful of formulae.......
moles=conc. x vol.
moles= given mass/molar mass
molar volume of gas= 24 dm cube
and you should be able to balance equations and use proprtionality accordingly!
That's about it!:)

Reaction score
i need some help too. some questions ask us to suggest what roles some of the ions in the solution provided might be playing. and the mark schemes say either catalyst or oxidizing/ reducing agent. how do we know this?

Reaction score
hello, could you help me with this? How do I test the presence of oxygen or hydrogen? i find it really difficult to see the splint igniting or pop a lighted splint

Reaction score
hello, could you help me with this? How do I test the presence of oxygen or hydrogen? i find it really difficult to see the splint igniting or pop a lighted splint
Hydrogen is most likely given off when a metal is present... and I think for colourless gasses we should hold the test tube closed for a few seconds so that the gas accumilates and we can actually test something.. otherwise all the gas goes off..

Reaction score
i need some help too. some questions ask us to suggest what roles some of the ions in the solution provided might be playing. and the mark schemes say either catalyst or oxidizing/ reducing agent. how do we know this?
For example, if you test FA1 and conclude that it contains Fe^2+ ions, and then they ask you to test for ions in FA1+FA3. and you conclude that this mixture contains Fe^3+, then FA3 is oxidising agent cz it OXIDISED Fe^2+ to Fe^3+.
And reverse is true for reducing agent.
As for a catalyst, we all know it USUALLY speeds up a reaction. And its conc. at the end of the reaction is unchanged. If the reagent is in excess, then varying the conc. of catalyst does not affect the rate of reaction. Adding it speeds up the reaction.
"Thumbs-up":)

Reaction score
i have my chemistry practical tomorrow i feel its easy plz friends give me some tips about rate of reaction experiments because i never did it and enthalpy tooooo.

Reaction score
i have my chemistry practical tomorrow i feel its easy plz friends give me some tips about rate of reaction experiments because i never did it and enthalpy tooooo.
I haven‘t done enthalpy changes either, but rate of reaction experiments usually involve a timer and a colour change :p
PS: Some people said there is a stopwatch in the apparatus list :\

Reaction score
I haven‘t done enthalpy changes either, but rate of reaction experiments usually involve a timer and a colour change :p
PS: Some people said there is a stopwatch in the apparatus list :\
I too heard there's a stopwatch. *fingers crossed*