• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistry problem

Reaction score
U can check the oxidation no for each reaction. (suppose the chlorine containing compound is Nacl)
(I) AgNo3 + Nacl ------Agcl + NaNo3
Agcl + NH3 ---------(Ag(NH3)2)Cl
here no change in the oxidation no is seen... the oxidation no remains -1 through out the rxn.
(II) H2So4 + Nacl --------Na2So4 + 2HCl
here also the oxidation no of chlorine is unchanged..(ie...-1)
(III)NaoH(cold and dilute)+ Nacl --------Nacl + Naclo +H20 (rxn is not balanced)
here the oxidation no chlorine chages from -1 to +1(naclo) and -1(nacl)
(IV) Naoh(hot and conc) +Nacl -------Nacl + Naclo3 +H2o( rxn not balanced)
here the oxidation no changes from -1 to +5 (Naclo3) and -1 (Nacl)

there fore answer is D
Hpoe this helped

Reaction score
yeah.....diwash is ryt..just an inorganic reaction u must have memorised....

Reaction score
Err, just a little bit issue... The question says "elemental chlorine", does it not mean it should start from zero?

Reaction score
DragonCub said:
Err, just a little bit issue... The question says "elemental chlorine", does it not mean it should start from zero?
elements always have an oxidation state of 'zero'.

Reaction score
Guys, please help me! I problem with question 2, 6, 7, 13, 15, 22, 25, 29, paper 11 m/j 2010

Thanks in advance.......

Reaction score
so it means chlorine goes from an oxidation state of zero to +5. it's getting oxidised. so isn't the easier way for the answer to just look for an oxidising agent? which is hot concentrated NaOH...?