• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Unit 3 Revision before the exam!

Reaction score
we can post some notes and discuss the chemistry unit 3 exam tomorrow!

Reaction score
Here are some notes which I made up using the user guide and going through all the past papers.
The silver nitrate test for halides is definitely going to come up, as well as the flame tests!

Attachments

• Paper 7 Notes - User guide - Final.pdf
    279.2 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
the questions that carry most marks (and also the most difficult) are the ones on organic chemistry...please post all the common stuff..

Reaction score
dw about chemistry.just make sure you know your tests..all of them.including all those bacl2 tests and even some from o level like test using cobalt for water.otherwise if youve done the past papers there all more or less the same.so dw chem unit3 is prob gnna be our best paper

Reaction score
also make sure ur sodiummthiosulphate iodine reaction knowledge is on point
as wel as reflux and distillation.

Reaction score
what do you need to know about sodium thiosulfate iodine? all i know is that the indicator has to be starch and it'd change from blue-black to colourless

Reaction score
yes but also do some practise about finding moles ratioing..being able to find iodate..finding conc....theres a wide variety of questions which can come up from that single itration andnit holds a laaarge amount of markks.do some past papers ..ote="jtbteddy, post: you need to know about sodium thi
w is that the indicator has to be starch and it'd change from blue-black to colo

Reaction score
yupppp got it! i thought you meant some more theory regarding that reaction. i've done all the past papers, including the specimen paper. i've revised fro physics unit 3 too, and now i'm on c1 revision. thanks!

Reaction score
yupppp got it! i thought you meant some more theory regarding that reaction. i've done all the past papers, including the specimen paper. i've revised fro physics unit 3 too, and now i'm on c1 revision. thanks!
kwwll...omg im scared for physics unit 3..basically i hate all unit 3s except chem....but im clueless in physics...any tips on what i should read?

Reaction score
kwwll...omg im scared for physics unit 3..basically i hate all unit 3s except chem....but im clueless in physics...any tips on what i should read?
This is what i picked up from doing past papers, but honestly, that's not enough, you need to study unit 1 and 2 since anything from those 2 units could crop up!

Attachments

• Paper 7 Notes - Final.pdf
    547.1 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
ironically i am ready for physics 3b but chem...idk wat i m gonna do 2moro

Reaction score
guys could anyone tell me why dilute nitric acid is used in the test for halogens. i know one reason is to get rid of competing ions that would interfere with the test (ex: carbonates) whats the other reason? and for which questions should we apply one or the other? please help :)

Reaction score
i think thats the only reason....do u know why conc hcl is used in flame test?"nickixellao, post: 518227, member: 66861"]guys could anyone tell me why dilute nitric acid is used in the test for halogens. i know one reason is to get rid of competing ions that would interfere with the test (ex: carbonates) whats the other reason? and for which questions should we apply one or the other? please help :)[/quote]

Reaction score
and make sure you know processes for cleaning stuff...the whole filter wash distill etc etc

Reaction score
guys could anyone tell me why dilute nitric acid is used in the test for halogens. i know one reason is to get rid of competing ions that would interfere with the test (ex: carbonates) whats the other reason? and for which questions should we apply one or the other? please help :)
to neutralise the solution