• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry V1 (discussion)

Reaction score
Graphite and negative...
Again,the question remains how can a compound belong to two homologus series !!!
That's quite not possible
thnkxx :) no i didnt ask tht one the naphta one wsnt it that we had to choose the rite one ??

Reaction score
What was the answer for the functional groups question?
oh and the homologous series one?

Reaction score
ahaan k but the quest ws tht we had to choose the rite use or the wrng one ?? most of em wer wrng ?/
No they weren't.
Refinery gas in heating and others were rite..

What was the answer for the functional groups question?
oh and the homologous series one?

For the functional group probably all since he asked wat functional group is present ...So you could divide the compound as you wish..
Alekenes were available COOH for carboxylic acid and OH for alcohols..

Homologous series HOPEFULLY NONE

Reaction score
No they weren't.

For the functional group probably all since he asked wat functional group is present ...So you could divide the compound as you wish..

no you cant divide the COOH to OH and CO when it is COOH its an acid only not an alcohol so the answer is C (carboxylic acid and alkene)
for the other one it is bothhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enol

Reaction score
No they weren't.

i did exactly what u said :D i realllllyyyy hope that's correct :cry:

Reaction score
well can any1 prove me wrong even though i noe i am..........if u plate graphite with another metal ...as graphite is a lubricant.....it is in layers so it slips so if there is a gold layer on it wont it bloody slip when the presidnt........eats smthing becuz i hav alwyz been told tht graphite cant be electroplated ......so i wrote.......negative and diamond !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
no you cant divide the COOH to OH and CO when it is COOH its an acid only not an alcohol so the answer is C (carboxylic acid and alkene)
for the other one it is bothhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enol
I didnt say i divided them...That answer was suggested by others and absolutely it is not alkene if it is a polymer...ALKENE IS UNSATURATED AND HE WAS ASKING ABOUT HOMOLOGUS SERIES so both cant go

Reaction score
well can any1 prove me wrong even though i noe i am..........if u plate graphite with another metal ...as graphite is a lubricant.....it is in layers so it slips so if there is a gold layer on it wont it bloody slip when the presidnt........eats smthing becuz i hav alwyz been told tht graphite cant be electroplated ......so i wrote.......negative and diamond !!!!!!!!!!!!!
just think abt it as if u know nothing abt chemistry, how can u plate something with diamond???? it is actually impossible but from a chemist point of view diamond doesnt conduct electricity. it doesnt slip when u coat something it stays on it just like painting when u paint a car, the paint doesnt slip :/

Reaction score
well now dont tell me tht it dznt conduct electricity...........then hw can u electroplate a leaf......yes a LEAF...which dznt cnduct at all.........i hv dn the experiment myslf so dnt ask hw. :D

Reaction score
I have 4 doubts:
1-The question about polymer of Alkene and Alcohol (I ticked Alkene only)
2-The question about wrong use of fractional dist of crude oil ( I said A)
3-The question about functional groups ( I ticked the 3 )
4-The question with graph of acid and salt ( I said C )

Please tell me if you are sure of right answers

Reaction score
Homologus series members should not only have same functional group but also general formula which wasnt there..

Reaction score
I didnt say i divided them...That answer was suggested by others and absolutely it is not alkene if it is a polymer...ALKENE IS UNSATURATED AND HE WAS ASKING ABOUT HOMOLOGUS SERIES so both cant go
the answer is C 100% sure , lets say u have ethanoic acid do u say it has the fuctional group OH and COOH or you only say COOH????
i have no idea about what u said about alkenes :/ it is both and this was repeated in may/june 2010 ( i think) but instead of using homologous series he used class of compounds which is approx the same.

Reaction score
just think abt it as if u know nothing abt chemistry, how can u plate something with diamond???? it is actually impossible but from a chemist point of view diamond doesnt conduct electricity. it doesnt slip when u coat something it stays on it just like painting when u paint a car, the paint doesnt slip :/
n well yes ........if u hav seen ur bloody pencil.......it slips thts y u see a frkin line whereva it is moved..........

Reaction score
well now dont tell me tht it dznt conduct electricity...........then hw can u electroplate a leaf......yes a LEAF...which dznt cnduct at all.........i hv dn the experiment myslf so dnt ask hw. :D
there is no point of arguing, it is graphite and arguing wont make ur answer right, everyone is very stubborn and so i dont think that i will convince or you will actually convince me, so leave the exam behind u and enjoy ur summer :)

Reaction score
AOA! Here are some of my answers from chemistry paper 1 that I wanted to share with you guys...
for the vanadium oxide, I wrote V2O3 ----> V2O5 (option D)
for the salt and acid on the graph, I wrote "D"
for the colourless unreactive gas which was denser than air was "D"
for the chlorinating water I wrote 1&3 only which was drinking and in swimming pools.
for element Z and Y : I wrote that element Z had another outer shell with one electron "B"
for the groups that the compound belonged to, there were two such questions so for one I wrote that it had alkene and carboxylic group but NOT alcohol. And for the other one I wrote that it had both alkene and alcohol.
for the measuring thing on the first page I wrote P Q R and S.
for iron question I wrote that it is harder to electrolyse than copper.
the fractional distillation I wrote the hydrocarbons that had boiling point 70 degrees Celsius
then the one that didn't match was Naptha
the fertiliser was which had all NPK which was I think "C"
On the whole though the paper was too easy and I think it's going to bring the gt high. Many repeated questions....like 1/2 of the paper was repeated...
Anyways have an awesome holiday but don't forget to pray to Allah SWT! :)
great job

Reaction score
the answer is C 100% sure , lets say u have ethanoic acid do u say it has the fuctional group OH and COOH or you only say COOH????
i have no idea about what u said about alkenes :/ it is both and this was repeated in may/june 2010 ( i think) but instead of using homologous series he used class of compounds which is approx the same.
I did that one the same as you..I was mentionibg other-trusted points of views...
That polymers question is wat i am talking about...
A polymer cant belong to the homologus series of alkenes

Reaction score
I have 4 doubts:
1-The question about polymer of Alkene and Alcohol (I ticked Alkene only)
2-The question about wrong use of fractional dist of crude oil ( I said A)
3-The question about functional groups ( I ticked the 3 )
4-The question with graph of acid and salt ( I said C )

Please tell me if you are sure of right answers
All not right..sorry...!
But first one May be ryt!