• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE or Edexcel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finished my AS levels CIE in May/June 2014. But I have been wondering, which is more recognized CIE or Edexcel? Many people claim that more universities accept Edexcel certificates compared to CIE, is that true? Please tell me more about CIE and Edexcel and about each recognition.

Reaction score
I, too, want to know about this.

And also, which one is easier? I heard Edexcel is much easier than CIE. Is that true?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finished my AS levels CIE in May/June 2014. But I have been wondering, which is more recognized CIE or Edexcel? Many people claim that more universities accept Edexcel certificates compared to CIE, is that true? Please tell me more about CIE and Edexcel and about each recognition.
Both are recognized as equivalent qualifications. There is no major difference in recognition.
I, too, want to know about this.

And also, which one is easier? I heard Edexcel is much easier than CIE. Is that true?
In general, CIE is harder than Edexcel, especially for subjects like Further Mathematics, Accounting and the Sciences. However, there are some exceptions. For example, Edexcel Law and Business Studies is harder than its CIE counterpart.

Reaction score
Both are recognized as equivalent qualifications. There is no major difference in recognition. However, there are rumours that some universities prefer CIE as it is considered to be more rigorous.

In general, CIE is harder than Edexcel, especially for subjects like Further Mathematics, Accounting and the Sciences. However, there are some exceptions. For example, Edexcel Law and Business Studies is harder than its CIE counterpart.

Which Edexcel subjects are much easier than CIE?

Will it be preferable to give the subjects which are easier in Edexcel, through Edexcel, instead of CIE, if one just wants an A?

Reaction score
Which Edexcel subjects are much easier than CIE?

Will it be preferable to give the subjects which are easier in Edexcel, through Edexcel, instead of CIE, if one just wants an A?
Accounting, Mathematics and the Sciences are easier in Edexcel.
Yes, it will be better because an A from Edexcel is far better than a B from CIE. However, you will be better prepared for university if you do these subjects from CIE.