• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computing Paper 2. Anyone else freaking out?

Reaction score
the definition in the book; ASCII is American Standard Code for Information Interchange - widely used 7 bit coding system used for character data

Reaction score
going to mess it up so much
If it helps think of all the marks you CAN get without knowing anything in coding than you can't. You'll be surprised to find out that coding is only really about 25-30% the paper. Nail the rest, you'll be fiiiine, don't worry. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Guys Dont worry , grade threshold of computing 9691 paper 22 of Oct/nov 2012 was just 45 (A) would you believe.. If you get 45 marks in paper 2 You get an A in your paper... Let assume that if we leave our coding part all of it, we still get enough marks to score A easily as coding can come in maximum of 15 -20 marks ...so this leaves you with 55 marks out of 75 ... Thats an A :) :D

Reaction score
Rea
Guys Dont worry , grade threshold of computing 9691 paper 22 of Oct/nov 2012 was just 45 (A) would you believe.. If you get 45 marks in paper 2 You get an A in your paper... Let assume that if we leave our coding part all of it, we still get enough marks to score A easily as coding can come in maximum of 15 -20 marks ...so this leaves you with 55 marks out of 75 ... Thats an A :):D
Really? You sure we're still talking Cambridge here? I know edexcel. Its a joke, even 40s account for an A sometimes but Cambridge is pretty solid. They usually don't budge in their boundaries...

Reaction score
No! :( You have to pretty much do the file size calculation thing mentally. D: Don't forget to add 10% of the total file size to your final answer btw :)
Aw shucks :/ I'm so lazy to use my mind to calculate.. It has already to contain all this computing information :p

Reaction score
Aw shucks :/ I'm so lazy to use my mind to calculate.. It has already to contain all this computing information :p
lol well imagine sitting a math paper plus the computing paper back to back. Thats my life for you

Reaction score
my brain is exploding with logs and sine rules and sine graphs and trigonometry and geometric series's and trapezium rules on top of everything like filesrecordsfuinctionsproceduresarrays2darraysiterativesandrepetitives. And honestly, I don't think i have much of a brain xD Its not the end of the world though.. I' not complaining... yet

Reaction score
my brain is exploding with logs and sine rules and sine graphs and trigonometry and geometric series's and trapezium rules on top of everything like filesrecordsfuinctionsproceduresarrays2darraysiterativesandrepetitives. And honestly, I don't think i have much of a brain xD Its not the end of the world though.. I' not complaining... yet
wow okay I'm gonna shut up now lol

Dug

Reaction score
For VB6 users:

Open
Prepares a file to be processed by the VB program.
App.Path
Supplies the path of your application
FreeFile
Supplies a file number that is not already in use
Input #
Reads fields from a comma-delimited sequential file
Line Input #
Reads a line (up to the carriage return) from a sequential file
EOF
Tests for end-of-file
Write #
Writes fields to a sequential file in comma-delimited format
Print #
Writes a formatted line of output to a sequential file
Close #
Closes a file
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create a new notepad file called "names.txt" in directory C: and enter your name in it
Open vb6, create a textbox and a command button.
Reading from a file:

Private Sub Command1_click()
Dim MyName as string
Open "c:/names.txt" for Input As #1
Input #1, MyName
Text1.text = MyName
Close #1
End Sub

Run the code and click the command button. You will see your name appears in the textbox and so you have read the data successfully.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Writing into a file:

Dim MyName As String
Open "c:/names.txt" For Output As #1
MyName = Text1.Text
Write #1, MyName
Close #1
End Sub

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Append:

Dim MyName As String
Dim MyAge As Integer
Open "c:/names.txt" For Append As #1
MyName = Text1.Text
MyAge = Text2.text
Write #1, MyName, MyAge
Close #1
End Sub

Replace Write by Print in the above code to see their difference.
Also, to write to separate lines, use Print/Write #1, MyName & vbCrLf & MyAge

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Codes for searching data may come later!

Reaction score
For VB6 users:

Open
Prepares a file to be processed by the VB program.
App.Path
Supplies the path of your application
FreeFile
Supplies a file number that is not already in use
Input #
Reads fields from a comma-delimited sequential file
Line Input #
Reads a line (up to the carriage return) from a sequential file
EOF
Tests for end-of-file
Write #
Writes fields to a sequential file in comma-delimited format
Print #
Writes a formatted line of output to a sequential file
Close #
Closes a file
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create a new notepad file called "names.txt" in directory C: and enter your name in it
Open vb6, create a textbox and a command button.
Reading from a file:

Dim MyName as string
Open "c:/names.txt" for Input As #1
Input #1, Name
Text1.text = Name
Close #1
End Sub

Run the code and click the command button. You will see your name appears in the textbox and so you have read the data successfully.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Writing into a file:

Dim MyName As String
Open "c:/names.txt" For Output As #1
MyName = Text1.Text
Write #1, MyName
Close #1
End Sub

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Append:

Dim MyName As String
Dim MyAge As Integer
Open "c:/names.txt" For Append As #1
MyName = Text1.Text
MyAge = Text2.text
Write #1, MyName, MyAge
Close #1
End Sub

Replace Write by Print in the above code to see their difference.
Also, to write to separate lines, use Print/Write #1, MyName & vbCrLf & MyAge

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Codes for searching data may come later!
Thankyou for sharing this here too. This helped me soo much I'm speechless :) Thankyou!

Reactions: Dug
Reaction score
https://c14beeb7-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...KBIMTTaxFJAP2Dmy_loVHAMjL3lxo_&attredirects=0
Guys! Are these notes using VB6? I just can't find the differemce in VB.NET or VB6
The built in functions are different, for example say for string manipulations in vb.net LENGTH is to find the length size of a string. But in vb6 its LengthOfName =Len(Name.text)
Its not a huge difference here but sometimes it does matter. They mark your program according to the specified programming language you write in the first line :)